Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Backup taking forEVER

Apple iPhone - Backup (before downloading iOS 4) taking forEVER, then it didn't Back

Last night I was trying to download the new iOS 4.1 on my 3GS iPhone, so I decided to do a Backup 1st. After highlighting my phone, I clicked "Sync" on the front page/tab.

Normally, I highlight my phone, go to, say, "apps", and click the update on THAT tab". That's how I normally get my backup (I think???).

Anyway, iTunes kept saying it was backing up, the phone said it was syncing, and the barber pole was moving. I finally left it do that and went to bed.

This morning I woke up and it was STILL saying it was backing up. I tried to "eject" my phone and it still kept hanging, acting the same way I left it.

I finally did the slide-across-the-phone to stop the "sync". Thankfully I didn't lose anything, but I don't think it took the backup. (I forgot to check iTunes to see if it recorded a backup.)

Obviously, tonight I'll try to do a back up again by doing the same thing; perhaps it was a fluke.

1. Is it true I should do a backup BEFORE downloading a new iOS or does it automatically do a backup before it downloads a new iOS, therefore I don't need to do the "sync" thing on the front page?
2. Does anyone know what causes this backup locking thing?
3. Any suggestions on what I should do?
4. I was doing this backup before I downloaded iOS 4.1, so is the iOS 4.1 a problem?

iPhone iOS
Wallpaper girl for apple iphone iOS
It will backup as part of the OS upgrade process. So you will be fine if you just do the upgrade.

-----
I upgraded two 3GS's and both gave me an option whether to back up or not. I did not backup for both and am very sorry because my friend's 3GS was restored to factory settings without all contents after an error occurred during the process.

My dad's 3G did not give me that option and automatically did the backup which took forever. )=

-----
My backups used to take forever with os 3 on my 3GS. After 4.0 they quickened. Not sure what os you currently have on your phone. If you are using a windows computer try disabling Internet connection and turning off your firewall and antivirus programs. I had a lot of issues with freezing and locking up of my computer until I did that. Be sure you are NOT connected to the Internet while those programs are off. The other thing you can do if your second try doesn't work is to try moving your old backup to a safe place and syncing again to get a totally fresh backup in case a file in the backup was corrupted as has happened to me also.

If you are using a Mac I can't help you.
Backups after 4.0.1 and now 4.1 are very fast or should be for you.

-----
I have iOS 4.0.2. I was trying to download iOS 4.1.

Yes, I am using Windows. I was actually surfing the Internet while trying to sync. :-)

No comments: