Monday, September 20, 2010

USB/Charging Cord problems

USB/Charging Cord problems

Shortly after I bought my iPhone 3GS in July 2009, I had to get a new phone due to battery issues. I **think** I kept my original cords, but I'm not 100% sure.

Regardless, since that time my USB/Charger Cord has had some twisting issues. At both ends, it's like a kinked vacuum power cord - the outer rubber material has slowly twisted and torn. About two months ago, it had gone down almost two inches on the phone jack end, and an inch or so on the USB end.

I've used electrical tape to cover it, but that doesn't seem to be the best option. I now have to set the plugged in phone down at a certain angle in order to charge. If I am holding it up (while lying in bed), I lose the charge signal, or it goes in-and-out.

Has anyone else had this trouble with their charger cords? I could go buy a new one, but just didn't want to spend the money if I didn't have to... but maybe others have had this happen.

iPhone Battery
Wallpaper tight pants race girl cameltoe apple iphone
Not with my iWhatever sync/charge cords. I'm still using the same cord that came with my iPod Classic about three years ago. I use it for the Classic, I've used it for the iPhone and I now use it for the iTouch.

Note, however, that it generally just sits on my desk, plugged into the back of my computer and never under any stress that would fray the joins.

-----
The power Cord doesn't have strain relief at the ends as it should. I have had 4 or 5 of these break over the years.

I just take it to the Apple Store and they give me a free exchange for a new one! I recommend you do the same.

-----
Cool... except that the Apple store is a 90-minute drive away. I'll wait until my next trip to Indy.

-----
Think of it as an excuse to go ogle the new toys & try them out.
:-)

-----
Seriously? Free exchange? Wish I had known this about a month ago. Gee I even threw away the old one or else I would take it even now.

-----
Yes free exchange. But you have to ask for it.

-----
I had to replace my charging cord after about a year of use. Mine twisted (involuntarily) as well. I think because I used to pack up my cord every day to take with me, plug it in at work, cart it home, use it in my car etc. Now I have a device in every location so I don't move my cords from place to place any longer and hope that it lasts longer.

Now I am an iPod user, I have the old "classic 160G" iPod and I have noticed that the charging cord for that device is made of a much thicker material and I've never had to replace it. I think the combination of never moving it and its thicker width has contributed to its longevity.

-----
You simply go up to one of the Apple store reps and show him/her your power cord and explain that you had not mishandle it. Then ask for a replacement. They will do it usually with little to no trouble. It does not require Apple Care.

Sometimes they may record your SN of your iPhone or product it came with to handle it as a warranty replacement. Other times they just hand me a new cord and no questions asked.

-----
You can also go to support.apple.com and enter your serial number and they will send you a new one in the mail and you have to put your broken one in the included returned packaging within (I think) 14 days or they charge you for a second power cable if you don't return the broken one.

-----
Yep, I was visiting our NEW Apple store today in my city and asked the sales rep about the cord problem and he said yes, they would replace it. Nice to know.

-----
I just tried this but they were going to charge me $41.41. I guess I will wait til I'm near an apple store to exchange.

-----
The new cords (the ones without the lock) are so brittle. They crack in a few months use. I have 3 cracked cables, all exactly on the same places - right next to the connectors. My oldest cable which was for my first iPod is still okay albeit yellowish dirty. The design of the new cords and probably the materials used are just not as good as the previous ones.

-----
Yes that has been my problem as well. They are brittle. And there should be a strain relief at the connectors to ensure they don't break.

-----
I tried going to the Apple support page that it's suggested, but I couldn't figure out the details of it all. Sometimes it's nice to just be able to pick up the phone and call... even if you have to sit through the robot voice and push buttons to get where you need to go.

I guess I'll just wait until I make a road trip to Indy.

-----
Go to:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

Enter your Serial # (Setting > General > About > Serial #) & select country (United States) and click Continue

It will check to make sure product is under warranty, then click "Request Service", log in with your Apple / iTunes ID, click I Have read/agree to terms of service and click Continue It will tell you to reset the phone if certain problems, click Continue here then on the Troubleshoot & Identify Page - select Replace Part or Accessory, iPhone System-Wide Issue, Cable, Dock Connector, then write "frayed" or whatever in the box, and click Continue - and then I agree to the terms and continue again, cable will arrive in 3-5 days.

Troubleshoot and Identify the Issue

-----
I went through all the steps (THANK YOU, BILL), but it's asking for $19.00 to cover the part.

Maybe I'm out of warranty??

-----
That is what I mentioned, they put a $19 hold on your card - if you do NOT return the broken one with the included return packaging, you will be charged the $19, if you do return it within the time period (14 days I think), the hold drops off. As long as you are under warranty (1 year unless you purchased AppleCare).

-----
Ok. That explains why they were requesting $41.

No comments: