Sunday, September 26, 2010

Google Contacts out-of-sync

Apple iPhone - Google Contacts out-of-sync
I changed my Google password, but neglected to change it in my iPhone's Gmail app or in iTunes. Interestingly, neither the iPhone or iTunes squawked about it. Once I caught this and changed it, I found that my contacts on Google (of course) hadn't been syncing >and< strangely wouldn't catch up.

I'm thinking I need to delete all my contacts on Google and attempt a re-sync, but I'm concerned that iTunes will attempt to sync with the empty Google list and wipe my contacts off the phone. Does anybody know if iTunes will ask before doing this? Or is there a better way to get the out-of-sync contacts back in sync?

iPhone tutorials
Girl Wallpaper for apple iphone tutorial
Where are they out of sync at, on your iPhone or on Google (which one is more up to date)? If on Google, then remove the account then readd on your iPhone (or uncheck the sync box, sync, check box back and sync again if using iTunes instead of Mobile Sync). If the phone is more up to date, you are going to have to sync to your computer and have it sync with Google then sync back to your phone - there is no way to have the phone directly replace Google (that I am aware of).

-----
Thanks,

The phone is more up-to-date than Google. Google got left in the dust as I made changes to the phone and synced to my computer that weren't communicated to Google. It seems that when I re-enabled Google with a new password, it should have noticed the phone/iTunes was different and more recent. It didn't pick up the updated stuff when I synced the phone to iTunes.

Do you know if Google will wipe out my contacts on the phone when I sync it via iTunes if I've deleted all the contacts from Google via my computer? Or will it be smart enough to warn me first?

-----
It depends on how you sync it, iTunes will warn you either way. If you are using iTunes you are either going through your Address Book program (Google <> Address Book <> iTunes <> iPhone) or you are using the Google Account option under Address Book in iTunes (Google <> iTunes <> iPhone).

Personally, I use the Google Mobile Sync / Exchange option - much easier
http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252

No comments: