Sunday, September 12, 2010

Syncing contacts in Google

Apple iPhone - Syncing contacts in Google

Let me get the particulars out of the way, I have a 3Gs, and I've had MobileMe for the past year but I let my subscription expire because the only thing I was using it for was to sync contacts. To save 99 dollars (I know I can get it cheaper on Amazon) I let it expire and I moved to Google.

No problems syncing except out of 1300+ contacts I have a pesky 31 who always duplicate. How can I stop this duplication every time I sync? It is always the same 31 contacts, and I see nothing different with them as opposed to the masses.

I've figured out that I do NOT have to have the "Sync contacts with..." box checked in iTunes for the sync to occur, I thought that was causing the duplication but its not.

While I'm talking about contacts, on the phone itself, under groups, I have an absolute mess I would love to clean up. Under "All contacts", the total number of contacts has blossomed to 4000+ and I don't understand why it grows exponentially. I have slightly less, around 3600. under the "All on My iPhone" category and the true number of contacts +/- the 31 duplicates under my Google e-mail address. How do I get them all to have the correct number of contacts?

Its not a big deal, as I leave it to my Google email address, but I'm in the cleaning/neat/tidy up mode and this is beginning to bother me.

Iphone Syncing
Hot Firefox girl apple iphone google syncing
For duplicates, go to Google and clear duplicates from there. Now sync and enjoy.

-----
Google has very advanced and EASY duplicate elimination and merge for contacts with same name but difference info, IE one has phone #, another has e-mail it will merge them together - saves me hours of work.

-----
Humm... maybe I'm not explaining this right. Of course I've done what Google offers me to do. I go to More options and choose find and merge and it finds the same 31 records and merges them when I tell it to. I'm good until the next time I plug up my phone and then the 31 records come back again and I find and merge again.

Meanwhile the other categories grow exponentially.

So any other suggestions besides using what Google offers me? Which works... but only temporarily. Seems like there is some setting on the phone itself which is causing these same 31 records to duplicate time and time again.

Should I delete them permanently and re-enter them?

Is there a way to delete the other categories on my phone besides deleting every contact singularly? 4000+ records to delete one at a time isn't pleasurable.

-----
Perhaps those contacts are still on your phone. That's why

-----
Which contacts, the 31 duplicates that Google finds, or the exponential number of contacts the 4000? I only have a true contact count of 1300...

-----
You need to check all google contacts. In google it may appear under "other contacts". Make sure after removing duplicates once you make sure there are no more and also refresh the screen.

-----
I do that every time I sync - thus the reason I know its the same 31 that are duplicates. You can't clear duplicates in Google, all you can do is find and merge them, but the same 31 are there EVERY time.

-----
In this case, I think you have contacts in your iPhone e Google. You need erase the your iPhone contacts, after to sync with the Google. Your iPhone Contacts might be empty.

-----
It could also be displaying two contacts on your iphone? How many email accounts do you have to have contacts sync to?

I have 2 gmail account and I have one to sync my contacts and the other to sync my calendar.

-----
Use a single account to sync contacts and calenders.

-----
I only have one gmail account. The calendar works perfectly, just this hitch with the contacts.

-----
Oh wow. I have to say that I was frustrated when this happened to me as well. Up to a point I did everything I could and register another account to see where the problem was. This fixed the problem but I didn't want to use a new account so I went back to my old account after I deleted all from gmail and basically start over.

No comments: