Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Not actually liking the multitasking as implimented

Apple iPhone iPod iTouch - Not actually liking the multitasking as implimented

Ok, I've now had the iPod Touch for about a day. It's the 3rd gen Touch, so I updated it to iOS 4.0.2 immediately... and I kinda wish I didn't.

I found the task manager completely by accident. I recall that double-clicking the Home button would take my old iPhone 3G to the first home screen, and discovered that's the way into the Task Manager, where I found almost all of the apps I had been playing with listed. It seems that there is no way to NOT leave an app open when closing it normally. And I presume that this, like in any other multitasking handheld, sucks down battery power.

And this kinda-sorta defeats the purpose of setting the email client to only use Fetch manually, because it will "fetch" when the email app is open, and it closes to the background, leaving it open and constantly connected to the server.

Is there anyway to get apps to actually close when I press the Home button to exit?

I also discovered that if I kill the Music process, the iPod function will still remember what song was playing, but it will forget where in the song it was.

iPhone iPod iTouch
Just curious, why did you get a 3rd Gen iPod touch when the 4th gen came out today? Other than that, you can manually close the apps by double pressing home, tap & hold until they shake then tap X on each until they close.

Regardless, the apps technically stop running when you home out, the ones that ask for 5, 10, 15 min shut down when they are finished, the only ones that keep running are GPS (TomTom, etc) and VoIP (Skype, etc) - everything else must close itself or the iOS will close it out, iPhone/iPod Touch just keeps the "most recent" apps listed in the tray.

-----
Price. When Apple announced the release of the 4th gen, stores dropped the prices on the 3rd gen. I could now stretch and justify the budget to get the 32GB at the lower price, but not the "full" $300, and the 8GB just doesn't have the capacity to hold what I want.

Yeah, I know. I did say that I found the task manager and killed apps that way. But what I want to know is if I can CLOSE an app normally without having to close it, double-click, tap-hold, kill, click, etc.

Some of these were "homed" out of over 20 minutes previously, and I don't think any of them need to remain running at all. And they were still running, as some of them take a few seconds to load through a splash screen, but when launched while still in the Task Manager, they opened instantly.

No comments: