Saturday, September 4, 2010

Completely new to iPhone

Apple iPhone - Completely new to iPhone

Please forgive me if this is a really stupid question, but I am wondering if there is anyway to get WIFI through my home network, even though I am using a wired modem for my Cable Internet connection.

I am on a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac with Airport card installed.

iPhone WiFi
girl on laptop on boat  apple iphone wifi
buy an airport extreme or express. run the cable out of the modem and into it. then you will have WIFI

-----
There are much cheaper WiFi routers than Apple¹s, like D-Link or Linksys. I am guessing the Airport card is Œn¹ speed (the fastest), if so just make sure you buy an Œn¹ capable router.

-----
Just buy a airport extreme and connect it to the Ethernet port out of the cable modem. I do the same with a Adam modem

-----
Absolutely, I do. None of my computers are connected to my cable modem by wire. EVERYTHING in the house, at least a dozen devices, is connect by Wi Fi

-----
I'm using Windows & have DSL internet -- I plugged my wireless router (rather than my computer) into the DSL modem (which is wired to the phone access point) & run my various devices off the wireless network (computers, iToys....)

-----
Get a WLAN (WiFi) router.

-----
Thank you all for your input. I should have been more clear with my question.

My husband wants as little WiFi as possible, and prefers a hardwired router to minimize EMF exposure. I want WiFi for the iPhone. Is there a way to get the WiFi for the iPhone while still using the hardwired router for our computer network?

Is there a router that has the option of hardwire + WiFi and the ability to switch between the two, so that I could turn the WiFi on and off at will?

-----
All modern wifi routers include a (wired) ethernet switch *as well as* a wifi base station. You can switch off the wifi when not required but it might be tedious. Are you prepared to go into the router's admin, using a computer connected via ethernet, *every* time you want to use the iPhone, then again when you stop using it?

-----
Sorry I'm chiming in late here. Since the Mac isn't using its airport to receive wifi, you could have it send a wifi signal that your iPhone can pick up. Then it would be easier to turn Airport off and on in the Menu Bar. You already have everything you need to try it.

-----
That turns off the WiFi unit in the Mac, not the WiFi base station. Her husband want to minimize RF radiation (transmission), and wants to turn off the base station when not used.

I agree that the amount of RF radiation is negligible, but I'm not the one that needs to be convinced.

-----
YEs. The Airports, and most WLAN routers from Cisco, Linsys, Netgear, etc, do both WiFi and wired LAN.

Not as a simple switch option. Some may have a control to turn the WiFi on/off, but it would be really annoying to have to go into the config of the router every single time.

Your husband is being paranoid. The RF output is too low to be of a concern, unless he's going to mount it on his head and leave it there for years on end.

-----
Yes, most WiFi routers have one or more ethernet (rj-45) sockets. You can plug in as many direct connected devices as there are sockets (many have 4) and have multiple WiFi devices (or just one) at the same time.

Depending on what 'at will' means, yes you can turn the WiFi on and off. It's probably not one click, at least not on the three or four WiFi routers I've worked with. But at most a few clicks, to turn off wifi (while continuing wired connections.)

No comments: