Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Bookmark and password sync

Apple iPhone - Bookmark and password sync

Is there any add on or stand alone application that can be used to store password and bookmarks for iPhone, firefox and safari?

iPhone tutorials
Rebecca Romijn apple iphone tutorial
LastPass (lastpass.com)

-----
addition to the question below: xmarks add on for Firefox is shutting down on Jan 2011. I am looking for an alternative and one that can back up previous sync files in case you need to restore them from the server.

-----
I am in same position, MobileMe is great but doesn't work with Firefox or Chrome at all, Firefox Sync works fine on Firefox for 'backing up' between browsers but has no controls like XMarks, Chrome Sync works fine on Chrome but not with any other browsers... I don't know why XMarks didn't just institute a 'pay' option to break even, I would gladly pay at least $5 per month for XMarks if not more...

-----
Xmarks now has a pledge page to see if they can get users to pledge a $10 per year fee in order to keep Xmarks. It is a marvelous add-on, I hope they are not doing this too late to save it.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/keep-xmarks-alive-pledge-to-pay-for-the-ser\
vice/198


http://www.pledgebank.com/XmarksPremium

-----
Yes - I signed the pledge, along with LastPass it is well worth $1 a month (or $10/year).

In the meantime, anyone with access to MobileMe or a decent hosting account (that supports WebDav folder access) can create their own XMarks server. Unfortunately, only the most recent version of the Firefox Addon supports using your own server so using it for all browsers doesn't work but at least I can continue using it in Firefox across all machines and is far more reliable than the "Firefox Sync" that is part of Firefox 4.0 (in beta) and available as an add-on for Firefox 3.6.x

-----
Ok, another reason for MobileMe - use XMarks on MobileMe as your own server! If someone wants me to write details let me know, but it is awesome - I have it running and I no longer have to give up XMarks!!!!

-----
I would appreciate the details. I cannot wait to use mobile me with Xmarks. I've been searching for an alternative since the ever since the xmarks sad news

-----
I'd like to know how to use Xmarks with MobileMe!

-----
I am going to have to write a post since screen shots might be necessary but basically log into MobileMe, go to the iDisk section create a folder names 'xmarks' then go to Xmarks > Xmarks Settings > Advanced and check "User your own server"

The Bookmarks URL should be:
http://idisk.me.com/MOBILEMEUSERNAME/xmarks/bookmarks.json

Password URL
http://idisk.me.com/MOBILEMEUSERNAME/xmarks/passwords.json

Username
MOBILEMEUSERNAME

Password
MOBILEMEPASSWORD

Check Rememebr Password
Click Ok to close both windows, and click synchronize, you will be prompted again for your MobileMe password and then it will sync - repeat on each copy of Xmarks and each machine - you have to have the latest version of xmarks installed so make sure they are all updated.

-----
i use 1password for my passwords and Delicious, Firefox Bookmarks and Mobileme (for Safari and other sync).

No comments: