Monday, September 20, 2010

Ilium Software ListPro

Apple iPhone - Ilium Software ListPro is finally here!

A few days ago, Ilium Software finally released ListPro for iOS devices, and it's ad-supported freeware (which means that on a WiFi-only device, no ads at all...). The desktop companion is somewhere around $20, or $10 if upgrading it from v4 or older.

iPhone Software
Toddler orders ipad Apple iPhone Software apps
I've been using it now, and I was initially turned off my the new "Gallery" feature that sits in front of the Lists, but after a brief discussion with tech support, found out that it's a non-issue as on the handheld the app will re-open to the last place you were and the desktop app can be set to open on your lists.

Other than that, all of the old functionality I remember from my Treo days are still there, though some layout functions are different. Fortunately, not horribly so.

The biggest problem is that HanDBase has finally become a serious contender for me as a general database application. However, their desktop app still sucks big time, and I find it essentially useless as a shopping list whereas ListPro seems to be built with that in mind with three-way status switches and the ability to "reset" the list with a single command.

-----
I wish it had a mac desktop though.

-----
I do have to admit HanDBase is much nicer now and I am using it alot. The desktop sync works perfectly which is unusual.

-----
But the desktop itself for HanDBase hasn't changed since the "old days" and is a pain to work with.

-----
Agreed. I don't really use the desktop other than to move backups to the Mac from my iPhone.

-----
For my use, the desktop is a necessity as that's where and how I maintain my collection inventories (so I don't buy the same book or album twice when browsing a store...).

-----
But you can do that from your iPhone too correct?

I try to do everything from my iPhone. I even use a Bluetooth keyboard at work to take long notes throughout the day.

-----
Tehcnically, yes. But I keep my inventory lists in programs from Collectorz.com, which retrieves the item details online for me, all I have to do is scan or enter the barcode. I export a csv from there and import the csv into ListPro.

At last count, I have over 200 books, almost that many DVD/BDs, and over 800 CDs. No way am I going to (re)enter all of that manually. Oh, and because I have over 40GB of mp3s and "only" a 32GB device, I also keep a database of the individual music tracks with me.

-----
I'm have ListPro and am now looking at HanDBase as well, but I'm a little puzzled at all the available downloads. I have downloaded the trial version of Windows Desktop (on sale for $14.99), but am confused about the Windows Desktop Plus version for the iPhone, which I believe is an add-on, but really expensive. Just what is that version, as it is over double the price of the standard Windows version, so it cannot be just the addition of the iPhone App.

I have not yet purchased the iPhone App for HanDBase, just in case there is a package deal I should take advantage of, but most of those are highly priced for some reason.

-----
I don't know what the difference is. You need to see if they explain it somewhere.
I would suggest you simply buy the basic desktop, and then get the app from the Appstore.

-----
I have wondered about the sync procedure. I have been using HanDbase but when I sync through WiFi I have the option to download or upload files. Whenever I download it replaces the desktop file. It does not truly sync. I must be doing something wrong. I make sure to make changes on only one side so that I can overwrite the other without losing anything.

Could you explain your method.

-----
about syncing HanDBase. As I recall, HanDBase did always do an overwrite, rather than a sync. ListPro does sync only changes. Though I do not know how it would handle some changes on one side and other changes on the other in the same list as I've never done that.

-----
I should have created a new thread. I am inquiring about HanDbase. my sync involves overwriting rather than true sync. I must be missing something. Does HanDbase truly sync?

-----
Okay. Now I understand your question.
You are right. HanDBase desktop does not do true sync. I have to overwrite the databases just as you say. I am okay with that as I mainly do all editing from my iPhone. Desktop to only view and maintain a good backup.

-----
I use Excel for a number of things around the house: books for my Kindle, yardage charts to keep track of what I sew, and one for my husband's DVDs since he has bought multiple copies of some. I'm hoping to move them to the iPad but I haven't warmed up to either Numbers or Sheet2. I bought a keyboard for the iPad to see if the issue is the program or the screen keyboard. I don't care for 1 finger typing.

Do you see ListPro as a substitute for Excel?

-----
Not if you're using Excel as it's intended to be used, to crunch numbers.

As a way to keep track of things, most definitely. Download the app from the AppStore, it's free, and play around with it. The desktop companion can be used for a month's free trial so you can give it a thorough workout before deciding if you want to pay for the desktop part.

And as an added bonus, I've found that the guy who seems to be in charge at Ilium and handles most of the support to be very responsive.

-----
I thought I might have missed a setting. I do as you do - Most of my entries through the phone then "syncing" and overwriting the desktop. I then have a backup and if I need a large screen to view an extensive database I use the desktop.

-----
I think the pro version will allow syncing with microsoft access (much like Smartlist to go). If you use access databases that can be very handy.

1 comment:

Marco said...

Hi, I'm using list pro for Pocket PCs since... I don't even rember...! Now I'm trying both iPhone and and Android Phone. Unfortunately, there's no LPro 4 android, so I had to try handbase... wich seems more for the db admin than the rest of us... wich is ListPro, with the new version for iPhone, too... incredibly easy to sync OTA via WiFi! It's just no hassle at all... while I'm a little bit like fighting with HandBase...
yep, it looks like the desktop version of your db always wins... no matter you select ""Synchronize the database" on the sync preferences...
I'm a little disappointed...