Monday, September 13, 2010

iPhone 14GB?

Apple iPhone - iPhone 14GB?

I have just received my new iPhone 4 and have notice that it displays a capacity of only 14.01GB instead of 16GB.

I'm aware that hard drives 'round up' their capacity but I would have expected 15.34GB or something. 2GB less seems extreme on a 16GB HD.

I've just checked my old 3G and, indeed, that displays 14.6 GB. That is still over half a GB better.

Why such a large discrepancy?

iPhone iOS
Hermione poster detail apple iPhone iOS
The space is taken up by the OS.

-----
Reall? I thought that was what 'Other' was.

-----
That's right. The OS resides in the same flash chip as your app memory... which is a good thing. That's why we can upgrade OS so easily compared to all the other "smart" phones! :-)

I don't know what Other is though.

-----
It is the OS and disk formatting. Other is taken out of the remainder like all user data.

-----
No, the 16 (or 32GB) is partitioned into two volumes - the OS is stored on one volume by itself and iOS 4.x on an iPhone 4 (and iPod Touch 4 likely) is the largest one yet, 619MB compressed - uncompressed it is over 1GB to power all of the functions (Game Center, FaceTime, etc).

"Other" is your user data that Apps save or download, etc.

-----
Why, thank you good people for clearing that one up

I must add that I was most impressed with the very smooth transition from my 3G to iPhone 4.

I expected all sorts of mishaps that would need correcting, lost app data, home screen pic, messages etc. Not a bit of it. I've picked up games whence I departed and can skim back over texts without hindrance. I've always had pretty problem free upgrades on my Macs but there is always a little techno husbandry needed to get things 'just so'.

I am a very happy bunny and am urging all my friends to do likewise as soon as possible.

-----
Just for the record, 16 GB (decimal) is 14.9 GiB ("binary" gigabytes).

Does anyone know if flash memory is measured in decimal GB as hard-drives are?

-----
Yes but OS X (and possibly iTunes on all platforms ) started reporting binary with snow leopard.

-----
I think you meant "started reporting *decimal*"?

AFAIK 10.6 is the only OS that uses decimal sizing by default. I've just checked and iTunes 10 uses the same binary sizing that OS 10.5 (and other OSes) does.

-----
The difference between methods of measuring Gbs plus operating system size

No comments: