Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Nike+ with GPS Tracking

Apple iPhone - Nike+ Now Available with GPS Tracking (and Without the Shoe Chip Requirement)

iOS only: Nike+, the popular run tracking system that utilizes an iPhone/iPod touch and a sensor chip placed in your shoe, has released a new version that doesn't require a single-use chip, and also provides GPS mapping for social exercise management.

iPhone GPS
Girl Geocachiing with GPS smaller will change by apple iphone ios nike+ with gps tracking
Wearing an iPhone is a bit more bulkier than a Garmin watch. Not sure how you look at the iPhone to see current pace, or race pace.

I don't think the Touch has GPS.

Don't even get me started with those runners who talk on their phone during the race.

-----
It is good to run with it. It is not as bulky as you might think. I did back to back marathon and a half. It is good to have your phone with you on training runs. You never know you might need it.

-----
I also ran with it [only a 5 k..but still...]...my only issue is getting a good arm band...but it wasn't uncomfortable ...

perhaps i'm just used to wearing something during my runs!

-----
I wear an armpocket (www.armpocket.com) when I go walk/running. I try to go 3 times a week and I do about 6 to 10 miles each time and I have to have something which keeps my key, my identification, a small snack (I'm diabetic) and my phone. Its a bit bulkier than most because I carry so much with me, but it fits around my arm securely with NO slippage. My phone is still functional in the band, there is a slot at the top for the headset (but I tend to go walking with my jawbone icon). When I tire of it, I just put it in the zip pocket.


I just don't want to pay for the Nike+ with GPS unit when the Nike+ app came with my phone and I did invest in the shoe fob.

-----
Here is my question regarding Nike +. if you have the previous version with the chip for the shoe. Is there and update to that app. Which allows you to remove the shoe?

-----
That is what this app is, you no longer need the shoe fob.

I have the chip in my shoe and it syncs to find the chip. When I get ready to run. So now I can open the app amd remove the chip out of the shoe?

-----
Well... On my first 5K test GPS didn't work. I usually use NewBalance app that uploads runs to mapmyrun. NB has GPS as well. Very similar to Nike app. The best part of the app is Free.

-----
I'll start over. Nike released a new Nike + app for $1.99 that uses the phones GPS, Accelerometer, etc instead of the chip in the shoe and the built in Nike+ App, so if you no longer want to use the shoes, shoe chip, or never bought them in the first place you can buy the $1.99 new App and use it instead of the built in App.

-----
I recommend SprintGPS. Check it out.

-----
You have to buy the new app if you don't want to continue to use your fob. Or you can keep what you have, and not purchase the new app.

No comments: