Saturday, September 4, 2010

Music sound quality

Apple iPhone iPod - Music sound quality

I'm a recent convert to iPhone, and not necessarily in the know yet about the common complaints so apologies if this topic/question has been beaten to death already.

I'm disappointed in the quality of the sound when playing music. The iPod function doesn't sound anywhere approaching as good as my iPod classic, which blew me away when I first got it. Then today I tried listening to a streaming radio station and the quality is so poor it puts me in mind of the (really) old days of the tinny single speaker clock radios of my youth.

Am I expecting too much? Is there a setting on the device that will improve the sound quality? I've messed with the equalizer but that doesn't seem to affect the sound quality in the least. Is my experience simply a function of the media form?

I'm using an iPhone 4 through the tape deck of the JBL sound system of my car. The comparison to the iPod classic is made using the same equipment.

iPhone iPod
Girl apple iphone ipod
You know that was also my problem while ago, as i am always after to the quality of sound, well... good thing i find it that could lessen my disappointments...

On your "HOme" screen, go to "Setting icon" expand it, and go to "EQ" from that, select your type of sounds... i prefer "R & B" for my listening type. Hope this will help you somehow...

-----
My old iPhone 3G sounded about as good to me as my iPod Classic does. Trick one is to use good earbuds, and not the crap that comes with.

-----
I think she's using the headphone socket and should try a dock connecter (giving line level output) instead.

-----
I think she's using the headphone socket and should try a dock connector (giving line level output) instead.

Unless things have changed in iPhone 4 compared to 3G, the phone part does not route out through the Dock. If she's using a BT solution, that won't matter. But if she's using a phone adapter cord between the iPhone and the car interface it does.

For the record, I ran my iPhone 3G through a Shure phone-adapter cord to an extension and then into an add-on AUX input to the car factory stereo and got quite acceptable audio results. I did not notice any change in quality when I switched back to my iPod Classic and ran the audio out through the dock connector to the same AUX input. (I'll see if there is any noticeable difference with the iPod Touch I'm about to get.)

My car isn't as quite on the inside as it used to be, but it has a very good (Bose) stereo.

-----
After reading this thread on sound quality, I went to my car, hooked up my iPhone 4 via cassette player to cars speakers and started playing some music. I have to say the sound quality really is bad. I tried fiddling with the EQ on my iPhones settings and it made absolutely NO DIFFERENCE which preset I choose.

Does anyone else have this problem? If I choose heavy bass, it sounds the same as reduced bass or classical or R&B,etc... I'm wondering If one of the software updates actually messed up the iPhone's EQ. Someone else please try it and let me know if they can hear a difference among the different eq presets.

-----
Has anyone done this using both the headphone socket and a dock connector? It would be interesting to compare the 2.

No comments: