Thursday, September 2, 2010

MobileMe vs Gmail

Apple iPhone - Mobile Me vs Gmail

I have a Mobile Me account and successfully wirelessly synch my contacts and calendar between my Iphone, Outlook and the MobileMe online web site. Of course, MobileMe costs $100 per year.

A friend was suggesting I could do the same thing using Google Apps including Gmail and Google Docs for free.

My question, has anyone in this group used the Google products to achieve the same results I'm experiencing with Mobile Me? If so, please share how you set up your Iphone and Google products.

MobileMe Gmail
Apple iPhone Mobileme gmail
Google Mobile Sync using Exchange ActiveSync:

Google Sync: Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync


To set up Google Sync on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch device, please follow the steps below.

Requirements and Upload

1. Google Sync is only supported on iPhone OS versions 3.0 and above. You can check your current version by going to Settings > General > About > Version. To upgrade, follow the instructions at http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/. Please upgrade to iPhone OS 3.0 before setting up Google Sync.

more detail...http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252

-----
Will I have the same features with Google as I do with Mobile Me
or will I be giving up something to save $100 per year?

-----
MobileMe has a ton of features if you use a Mac and/or multiple iOS devices (iPhones, iPods, iPads, etc). As far as the photo sharing, storage, mail, calendar, contacts, etc - all of that can be duplicated with Google (Picasa, GMail, GCal, GContacts, can buy storage at 20GB for $5 per year) - the main thing you will be losing is Find My iPhone/iPod/iPad which can be worth it if you misplace your devices.

Also, Amazon sells discounted MobileMe subscriptions at ~79/year and/or you could always split a 'family' plan from Amazon with 4 other people.

That being said, YES Google can do the basics and do them very well for free and if you don't have a Mac will save you the cost of MMe.

-----
I wanted to share calendars and contacts between my wife and me. MobileMe worked fine, by logging my wife's phone into my account for the calendar and contacts. Only problem was that I couldn't use the "find my iPhone" feature of MobileMe on her phone since it was logged into my account. So we now share a Google calendar, but from what I understand, we can only share contacts on Google with a "commercial" account ($).

No comments: