Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Transferring apps from original iphone

Apple iPhone - Transferring apps from original iphone

Does anyone know how to transfer apps from the first generation iphone to an iphone 4? We have an imac G5 running OS 9 that won't sync the iphone 4, and the apps are on that machine. We also have macbooks running OS 10.5 which will talk to the iphone 4 and the imac G5, and the iphone 4 is synced to one of them but they won't sync the old first generation iphone. We could transfer apps from the imac G5 to the macbooks over our wifi network if we knew where they are located on it.

iPhone Apps Photo Girl of Apple iPhone Apps Are you sure? My recollection is that the later G4s were unable to boot in OS 9 so a G5 wouldn't be able to either. If you are running OS 9, surely it's in the Classic environment, so you are also running OS X?

-----
I'm sorry for the misinformation. Our Imac G5 is running OS 10.4 (Tiger). What I meant to say is that it's running ITunes 9.1, not 10.0. I get an error message when I hook up the iphone 4 that it can't sync with that ITunes version.

-----
Yes iOS 4.x needs iTunes 10.x and iTunes 4.2 (any day) needs iTunes 10.2 (last week)

-----
Go to iTunes
In the iTunes menu, find "Check for updates"
It should find you need an update, download it, and install it.

-----
I did that, and now the Macbook Pro will recognize both iphones correctly. The problem of transferring files from the Imac G5 through my wifi network can be solved if you please let me know where they're located on that machine.

-----
I presume you mean the files located at /Music/iTunes/iTunes Music

-----
Thank you for that advice. I was able to use that information to locate and transfer music files from the G5 to the macbook pro using home sharing over our wifi system. The apps are still eluding me. It may the files are set so that you need the correct permission to access them. I've had that issue when trying to manipulate files under unix. I've also had files in XP that were not easy to find b/c they were set to the hidden attribute. Do you think the apps files are not found b/c they have attributes different from the music files?

-----
Yes, you need iTunes 10, and for that you need OS X 10.5 (being the latest you can run on a PPC Mac). Is that an option or do you only have Intel versions of 10.5 or 10.6?

If you share the G5's iTunes, can you access the apps on one of the MacBooks?

-----
The Imac G5 isn't intel based, and I don't want to get OS 10.5 for it if there's an easier way. Please tell me how to share the G5's iTunes on my wifi network. I can see the G5 on my Macbooks, and can transfer files back and forth, but don't know where to find the ITunes apps files on the G5. Could you please walk me through that?

-----
Yes, I realise that the G5 is not Intel, which is why I said that 10.5 is the latest you can run on a PPC Mac. ;)

2 things to try.

1. You have file sharing enabled, so you should find the apps in G5 > Users > Your user > Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Mobile Applications. If you have the older iTunes structure, it will be iTunes > iTunes Music > Mobile Applications (I think!).

2. To share the iTunes library, on the G5 iTunes > Preferences > Sharing > Share my library > Share entire library. On one of the MacBooks, iTunes > Preferences > Sharing > Look for shared libraries. The G5's library should then appear under Shared in the left sidebar. I don't know if this allows apps to be shared, however.

No comments: