Saturday, November 13, 2010

The alarming voice dial result

Apple iPhone - The alarming voice dial result

There was a problem with the train crossing gates, so I tried to call 911. (In my area, 911 is for dire emergencies and also general dispatch.) I was driving so I activated Voice Command. "Dial 911" I said. "Dialing 511" it said. I pronounced it clearer, then louder. I thought that there are easily circumstances where a hand could be pinned and dialing is not possible. I also wondered if inability to dial could be legally "actionable."

So...am I missing something?

iPhone Dial
Image Shack Apple iPhone Dial
I think it may be intentional. I get the same thing on my Blackberry. The Voice Dial won't accept "911" or "Police", or any voice-name programmed to use those.

-----
You could have dialed 911 in the time it took you to activate Voice Command. Better yet, pull over to the side of the road and park, then dial if it was that important.

No comments: