Sunday, November 14, 2010

DHL fraud letter - Email

Apple iPhone Email - DHL fraud letter

I have been expecting my much discussed netbook to be delivered any day. I got an email from DHL saying there was something wrong with my shipment and I should open an attachment. I trashed them both, because I thought they were fraudulent.

Then today hubby was really pushing me about where the shipment was. Long story short, I ended up clicking on the attachment. It said open in File Ap Pro and then it went away.

Should I be worried now about any information or a virus on my phone? I should always listen to my gut!!

iPhone email
Balck 3G Apple iPhone email
I didn't think you could get a virus on the phone.

You could check status of your shipment through the site of where you bought it.

I've not gotten a direct email from a shipper ... the vendor sends the shipping info.

-----
I don't know anything about phone viruses -- but I have been getting a lot of fake DHL/UPS/FedEx emails over the last few months. Do NOT open attachments when you have any doubts about the sender!

-----
I got one of these emails from FedEx but did not open the attachment as I was not expecting any packages. I get all my uni text books delivered through TNT. My DH, who works with computers and iPhones, warns NOT to open any of these attachments as your iPhone could definately get a virus (if that's what the attachment is), so please, take care.

note: TNT is a courier company in australia. DH means dear husband.

-----
Why do you call it a fraud letter?

If you are expecting a DHL delivery, either go to the merchant for a tracking number and/or check directly with DHL if you already have it.

There is supposedly a virus your iPhone can now catch, but you have to click on a link or install an app to get it.

Don't ever click on a link in an email!!! Open your browser, either manually type in the URL, or use one of your personal bookmarks to the company, and then navigate to whatever information you want to check out.

The hackers seen out vague emails with bogus links that look like valid sites. If they sent out 100k emails, chances are that some recipients will have an account and may even have a current transaction going on. It is obvious when it is from a bank not in your region, but if it pretends to be from your bank, the iTunes store, DHL it may be harder to tell if it is a fake.

So.... Don't ever click on a link in an email, not even if it appears to be from a friend! (Your friend could have been hacked.)

-----
I called it a fraud letter because when I went to the DHL site it said any letter that came with an attachment was a fraud and not from them. In addition I checked back where I ordered my netbook and there was finally shipping and tracking information, from Fed Ex.

I just wondered if I could have gotten a virus on the iPhone.

-----
On XP, I can see the real address for a link. Can this be done on an iPad?

-----
If it works like the iPhone/iPod Touch, the "name" should be a button.
Tap it to see the name/address details.

No comments: