Saturday, November 27, 2010

Problems with airprint

Apple iPhone - Problems with airprint

Just updated to 4.2. I have a wireless HP 8500 e printer. I can access it from the iphone with the HP printer app. I tried airprint but it doesn't detect the printer. I followed the directions from Wolverine to enable airprint on a Windows Vista 32 bit laptop. I think I did it correctly as I got the command line displaying a create service SUCCESS and when i started the service I got the list of properties for the
service below the start on the command window. (hope I am explaining it correctly) The only thing that didn't occur was that I don't use windows firewall so allowing access wasn't asked. My Zonealarm firewall had the service as trusted and allowed access.

However when I go to print something through airprint on the iphone I still get no printers found.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this puppy working. The hp print app is great for pdfs and jpegs. It doesn't print any other format. Can't believe it doesn't do .doc files or email. Airprint would be so convenient

iPhone Print
What We can do with Apple iPhone Print
I figured it out. I thought that creating the windows airprint service would allow the phone to see the network printer. It doesn't. I created the service on my desktop with a dedicated USB photoprinter and all almost went well. The service was created but even though I ran the command line as administrator it would not let me start the service automatically.

So I created a shortcut to the desktop of airprint.exe and manually started it as administrator and the service started.

I went to the iphone chose the print option and almost instantaneously the photoprinter showed up!!! I printed an email quickly and correctly. I am disappointed that I can't use my network printer however (except through
the iphone HP iprint app).

-----
Did you try to access your network printer before installing/setting up the AirPrint service? I was under the impression that AirPrint would use WiFi (HP)printers with no set up.

-----
Yes I did. I can access the printer through three computers - 2 laptops and my desktop. I can also access the printer through the HP iprint app on the iphone. airprint doesn't see it at all. I think the only HP printers that airprint directly works with are the models with a C in their number.

I am using an 8500 eprint (really like it by the way). I can send an email attachment to the printer from the iphone in a pinch to print other formats I guess!!

No comments: