Sunday, November 7, 2010

"Windows shorcut" equivalents?

apple iphone - "Windows shorcut" equivalents?

I switch back & forth from 3G fairly commonly. Is there a way to install what in Windows would be called a shortcut? This is a bit cumbersome: Settings/General/Network/Enable 3G

After reading the tip about Airplane Mode saving power, I might want to do similar for that toggle. To clarify, it would prevent receiving (or transmitting) of calls, meaning it's a way to silence my ringer for phone or messages. Correct? (Obviously v/m & text messages will be retrieved upon exiting Airplane Mode.)

Speaking of shortcuts, can I create or delete folder-groups for my apps? For instance, I need no Financial apps. I could kill that folder.

iPhone tutorials
Sport football girl wallpaper for apple iphone tutorial
Shortcuts are for Widows computers. On an Apple computer, it would be called an Alias. On an iPhone, it would be called non-existent.

For your second question, try silent-mode, and receive the voice, text and email, with no sound. Vibrate optional.

You can delete all folder-groups and apps, EXCEPT the Apple installed ones. Sorry, Stock can not be deleted.

-----
No. No shortcut...

If you are not on unlimited data plan, which I presume you are due to the need to switch on/off the Enable 3G often, just press the home button after switching it off.
Then when you want to switch it on again, bring up the multitasking dock by double clicking the home button and tap Settings from there. The switch page should show up...

Also, I think it's the Cellular Data that you need to switch on/off.

-----
The reason for turning off 3G is to conserve battery, not data usage. Edge data usage still goes against your total data usage.

-----
Yeah. That's why he should not switch off the Enable 3G switch but the Cellular Data instead.

-----
Except that it's the power requirements of 3G he's trying to conserve against, not the data usage. Turning off data still leaves the phone on 3G.

-----
What is your reason for "switching back and forth"? In general, the iPhone will use Wifi preferentially if it is available, and cellular connectivity when it can't get Wifi. The only reason I can see for turning 3G OFF is if you spend a lot of time in 3G "far fringe" area, where the iPhone "thinks" it can get a 3G signal, but really can only get Edge. I've found very few such areas myself.

It can be made less cumbersome by utilizing the multitasking or rapid switching feature.

Open Settings/General/Network/ and leave it there.

Single-press or double-press the Home button and go to whatever App you want to work with. If you feel a need to alter the 3G setting, double-press the Home button, scroll through the App tray to find Settings, tap it, and there you are at the Network page.

You can delete Apps you install and Folders you create (but only by removing the Apps from the Folders).

You cannot delete "Apple-native" Apps (like Stocks).

-----
Battery usage.

If you have 3G enabled, it uses power even if you are using wifi. Similarly, if wifi is enabled it uses power even if you are using 3G. Is there any reason to have *both* enabled at the same time?

It would be an obvious advantage to have a single setting that toggles between the 2, but they are not even in the same level in Preferences.

-----
I don't claim to be an expert on the iPhone or iOS but it is not logical that having 3G enabled while on WiFi would have any noticeable impact on battery.

While it is true that while on 3G ( or even edge ) the iOS is looking for WiFI anytime it is enabled so it will likely have some impact on battery, I "always" have both enabled because I have yet to see a real impact on battery life. I travel a lot as my job and my iPhone is in an ever changing environment and I find it more useful to let the iOS do it's job instead of trying to micro manage it.

-----
I second this. When I had an iPhone, I found no noticeable impact on battery life leaving WiFi on all the time. This was with an iPhone 3G using iOS3.x. The OS would shut down the WiFi a few moments after the phone goes to "sleep" so it's really only one when the phone is actually in use.

-----
I notice quite a difference having WIFI on when not out and about and not on a constant WIFI connection. My iPhone 4 and 3Gs (before upgrade) was constantly looking for WIFI connection. I turned that off and battery life was noticeably increased.

No comments: