Monday, November 22, 2010

Google Contacts

Apple iPhone - Google Contacts

I noticed something today which I've never noticed before. I no longer user MobileMe to sync my contacts, I've gone to Google to do so. It works perfectly for my needs, except for this one glitch. I have coworkers who recently obtained Blackberry's (company issued). They have "work" - or office numbers, they have personal cell phone numbers and now they have these Blackberry's. I happened to be in front of my desktop when they obtained their new numbers and I made a custom label for the blackberry number, entitled "blackberry".

Well I discovered that the custom label didn't sync with my iPhone. Undaunted I went to my iPhone and attempted to make a custom label in the contact area and found that I could not. Hopefully, all of the guru's here will tell me the secret to make such a custom label. I can make the "blackberry" number another "work" label but as I said earlier, the work label has their desk phone listed and I would like to be as accurate as possible in labeling the numbers.

Any suggestions for me on this? or am I doing something wrong? I would love to be able to change the choices on the iPhone, considering that it has a label for "pager" and who on earth still has one of those? If I could rename Pager to BB or Blackberry, at least it would be more relevant for my needs.

iPhone Google
Let s see about Apple iPhone Google
Perhaps label blackberries as work mobile or company mobile.

-----
If you sync "over the air" with Google, it will only sync the basic labels. It will not sync custom ones.

-----
It's a limitation of Exchange which is how you're most likely synching google contacts now. It's a well known limitation and you can't use custom labels. I went through and created a boatload of custom labels in Goigle contacts only to find the phone numbers disappeared at next sync. Had to go back and put them as work and pager numbers again.

-----
Thank you for this explanation. I shall have to come up with my own system for remembering which number is which.

-----
When you'll go to Google.com/sync, go to iPhone option and you'll see it's limitations as which fields sync.

No comments: