Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Netbook and iTunes

Apple iPhone - Netbook and iTunes

I am looking at moving from a laptop to a Netbook computer because it's getting harder for me to handle my laptop. I have an illness that is attacking my arms and hands.

Does anyone know if iTunes would have any problem using a Netbook computer?? I am looking at 1 "Acer Aspire One AO532H-2575 10.1 Inch Netbook (Silver Matrix)"

netbook itunes
Apple iPhone Netbook iTunes
iTunes will work fine but Netbooks typically don't have a lot of storage space and low power USB ports so you might have trouble charging and syncing iPhone at same time, iPad definitely would require too much power.

-----
I have an Acer, and it works fine with iTunes and charging an iPhone. I don't sync the iPhone to it. It won't charge an iPad.

-----
No problem at all...

-----
I have the smaller Acer Aspire One. Do not use it as my main laptop, but last year it was great on a 5 week trip I took. iTunes works fine, it will charge my iPod Touch, but not the iPad (OK will charge Very, very slowly). It has been a good computer.

My concern for you is the size of the screen. It is small. My eyes are now happier with larger fonts. ctrl + is my friend.

I love Amazon's service, but do look at WalMart or if you belong to Costco, the price maybe better. And do an online search for the Acer model you are looking at, you might find a better price, or a sale in the next weeks. At WalMart, Costco, Best Buy you can look at the netbook, feel the weight and see if the screen really suits your needs.

-----
I have a Gateway Notebook, that is in the 10" range. It runes iTunes very well and charges my iPhone fine. Never tryed to charge an iPad. My gateway has plenty of disk and RAM. In fact more of both than many laptops.

-----
I have a Dell netbook. While iTunes runs ok on it, it is painfully slow. Everything is painfully slow on a netbook!

-----
Excuse me if this is a dumb question but isn't "Netbook" what Apple calls there notebook computer?

-----
No, MacBook, MacBook Pro or MacBook Air

-----
No... Netbooks are those tiny PCs that are light you can lift then with three fingers, like the Acer Aspire One, Asus EeePC, HP MiniNote, the list goes on.

The MacBook Air is the nearest Apple has to a netbook, IMO.

-----
"Netbook" seems to be a generic term for "scaled down laptop" -- "general purpose computer" but compared to a laptop is smaller overall, less powerful, less of everything -- but then being smaller & lighter it's easier to carry around for..."net-ing" on the go.

-----
How do you primarily use the internet or your current notebook? If you basically check email and surf the web, the iPad is good for that and is light weight, also comes with the added bonus of all the apps.

My son just got the MacBook Air which is a full fledge working computer for doing things you would do on a laptop computer or desktop. He mentioned how light it was and how convenient it was to use as a laptop. I am hoping to get one of those myself.

I am an avid Mac user from the early days and have always loved the new and innovative Mac equipment. Most of the people I know are going to the Mac side from the PC side these days.

-----
I have a full on laptop. But I do some online gaming that I don't want to give up. One of the sites does not support any Apple product.

I am a die hard PC fan. Always will be. I grew up starting with a victor 9000, then to an 8088, 286, 386, 486, you get the picture. The few times I was asked to work on an apple computer I got lost.

Anyway don't want to start a PC/Apple war.

-----
My first PC was an 8088. I got it used many years ago along with a wide carriage dot matrix printer. From that I went to a 486. I was very hesitant to move to Windows knowing I'd lose my command line know-how. Well, I barely remember any command line commands.

I was using Windows XP when I decided to go Apple. I had gone through Win 3.0, 3.1, Win97, Win98, WinMe and WinXP. Each version promising to be better. In some ways they were but I couldn't get away from crashes and when the registry came out, what a mess. So, went down to the Apple Store and bought the last version of the white 12" iBook that came out. I was also at the tail end of Tiger. I think Leopard came out maybe 3 months after I switched. I wasn't one of those that switched gradually. I did the migration to Apple and that was that. Apple all the way. I only looked back once when Win7 was in beta. I put it on my then white intel iMac. What a difference. Win7 ran very smoothly with no crashes. I decided to get a Gateway net book. Bad choice. It came with Win7 on it. I wasn't impressed. Quite a few crashes and remembrances as to why I switched to Mac. Using Win7 only iMac, I remembered why I switched.

I had gotten the net book because it was 10" and easy to pack up and take with me. Then the iPad came out. Net book, what net book? I found I carried the WIFI net book everywhere and even used it at home all the time. My 13" MBP was getting pretty lonely.

Maybe it's the ease of use and intuitiveness I find with Mac but boy am I glad I made the switch. I did try syncing my iPhone with Win7 on the net book. Just wasn't the same. iTunes was a bit different in Win7 at the time. I understand the interface is pretty much the same now.

So, I say, Windows or Mac, which ever OS suites you is great. If any of the Windows users in this group get a chance, try Win7 on a Mac in bootcamp. I think you'll be impressed. Besides, it's just one way to put a little Mac into your life :-)

-----
I use an iPad for quite a few things these days. I gave up my net book not having any use for it because of my iPad. Everything I did on my net book, I can do on my iPad plus have a slightly larger keyboard than my net book. I can also play games, connect my camera to it to download pics. With GoodReader, I am able to zip the photos on my iPad and upload the zip file to dropbox (there are other services listed in Good Reader) or my MobileMe account. My iPad is the WIFI one. My hubby has the 3G one. He likes to use it as a gps in our Mini Cooper.

Granted, iTunes is the same as on the iPhone. It's not an all in one app as on the computer. No worries on bags to carry the iPad. If your net book is 10" or more, the iPad will fit quite nicely, even with a case on it :-)

No comments: