Tuesday, November 23, 2010

4.2: 17 new text tone messages? Where are they?

Apple iPhone - 4.2: 17 new text tone messages? Where are they?

Dumb question probably, but where are the 17 new alerts as described from the Apple website as pasted below... I can't find anywhere where the new "17" are located... Any help from the gallery, please?

Messaging with text tones Know who's texting without looking at your screen. Choose from 17 new alerts and assign custom tones for people in your contact list.

iPhone iTunes Let s find Apple iPhone iTunes Look under Settings / General / Sounds. In the third section, tap "Text Tone" and you'll see a set of "Original" tones and above it a set of "New" ones.

-----
I see the 17 new text tones, but how do you apply one of them to a contact so you know who just texted you?

-----
Go into contacts, select a contact, edit contact, it's right below ringtone.

The new textones almost sound like they got them from Warner Bros cartoons.

-----
It would have helped if I scrolled down to that!

-----
I have a 3GS and after the upgrade the new text tones do not appear either. My tones are after going to settings/sounds and the same old ones are there

-----
I thought I was the only one. I have a 3GS also. I'm going to try to backup and restore to 4.2 unless someone else gives me a red flag not to.

This is actually the first time I've ever had a prob with an iPhone upgrade.

-----
I've read in a couple places online that they're apparently available on the iPhone 4 only.

Apparently Apple must believe 3G and 3GS hardware platforms are just too old and rickety to support additional text tones.

-----
So after doing the upgrades. What is everyone's opinion. Compared to the chernoybl fallout of 4.0 What is the overall consensus of upgrading to 4.2?

-----
I'm not seeing any difference on my 3rd gen iPod Touch. I think the only new feature that would effect me in any way is the Airprint, which does not work with a Windows desktop.

-----
My 3GS seems marginally more more responsive. But that's it. No new features on the 3 GS

-----
Oh, there is a difference after all... the iPod app now sometimes brightens the display when changing songs while plugged into the charge&play car adapter. This is highly distracting at night, and 4.1 and older did not do that.

-----
While 3Gs users might not have received 17 new text tones, we now have the ability to choose a tone per contact from one of the original tones. This is at least a step in the right direction...

No comments: