Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Calendars - events vs reminder

Apple iPhone - Calendars - events vs reminder

I use iCal on the Mac and sync events and reminders from several defined calendars to my 3GS. I also sync my work Exchange Server calendar.

Usually I display only one of the iCal calendars and the Exchange calendar on the 3GS, tho I can display others by selecting the iCal calendars I want to see.

I notice that ANY reminder chimes and appears on the screen, regardless of whether that calendar is displayed. This is not what I would like.

I have a calendar called Home, for instance, that is contains actions (like turning certain programs on or off) and is meant only for my desktop machine. I never display those events on the 3GS. However, their reminders go off like clock work.

Is there a way to prevent events from nondisplayed calendars from triggering?

iPhone Calendar
Screen shots Girl for Apple iPhone Calendar
You can choose which calendars to sync in iTunes. Are you syncing Home even though you don't actually want it on the iPhone?

-----
Thank. On the one hand, I know I can choose which calendars to sync in iTunes.

However, I don't have any calendars selected to sync in iTunes. The check box Sync iCal Calendars is not checked in the Info tab. Dimmed out, the radio button for my mac.com account is selected, I imagine because I've turned on Calendars in on my 3GS in the MobileMe account settings. (iTunes has the statement "Your calendars are being synced over the air..." in the INFO tab under Sync iCal Calendars section).

In Calendars, all my iCal subcalendars, like Home, appear as options for display, along with the Exchange calendar. I can select any or all of them for display.

However, I want to disable the Alarms on the Home calendar. I don't see any option in iCal, in MobileMe or on the 3GS to turn off Home's Alarms. My only option has to do with Display the events.

-----
So you're using Mobile Me, not iTunes, to sync?

I don't know of a blanket 'disable alarms' function, so that's why I wondered if you wanted to not sync that calendar.

I've never used .Mac/Mobile Me so I can't try anything myself.

-----
Well, that's an interesting question! As I indicated, the settings seem to follow the 'sync by MobileMe' approach and yes I have MobileMe.

iCal on all my computers sync to MM (editing contacts or events in either place flows them to the other). I have a couple of computers that are part of that collection and all goes as expected....

Except the 3GS. Items added to the cloud calendar DO NOT appear on the 3GS and vice versa, even tho iTunes says the calendars are being sync'ed over the air. The only way those updates are made is by sync'ing hardwired to iTunes (even tho, as I said, the ŒSync iCal Calendars' is NOT checked, tho the radio button for the MM account is selected, tho greyed out so it can't be edited in iTunes.)

And of course, my original question remains, how to disable one of my iCal calendars, called Home, from triggering events on the 3GS. I'd be glad to remove it from the display on 3GS option as I never need to see these daily events on the calendar.

No comments: