Sunday, November 7, 2010

Basics of synching

Apple iPhone - Basics of synching

I have a 3G. New to smartphones & iPhone is my first. I don't understand synching.

I suppose my stories below amount to these questions.

How to limit & control synching?
How to back up my data regularly?
But I hope you read for context. I've had 2 bad experiences.

First, it sucked up all my contact information from various Yahoo accounts and added them into my phone list. So there are parties I've corresponded with for a couple days, 4 years ago, now "living" in my list. (Can I get a PC view of these names & edit them?) So I don't want things synching without my explicit permission--which I suppose I may have given at the time, without understanding.

Second, a couple weeks ago I had quite a scare when, after doing an iTunes update, my phone went blank & there was something about a restart being required and that I might have lost ALL my data. After frantic tech contacts where no one gave me hope of retrieving my data (how the hell that is possible I don't know), I went through with the Restart or renew and yes, all (or most) of my data was in fact backed up and restored. I resent having this scare and not being told it could happen.

I would like to save SOME music and SOME photos from my PC to the phone. I'd also like to "transfer" SOME photos from the phone to my PC. I have no idea how to do these things.

iPhone Sync
Funny pictures cat has apple iphone syncing
My Computer > look for the iPhone. Double click the icon. You will see the photos stored on the phone.

Copy/Cut and paste to a folder on PC where you want the photos.

Reverse to put photos on phone.

-----
Most of the sections of the syncing can be controlled, turned on and off in iTunes. Look around in iTunes settings after you connect the iPhone to your PC.

Not everything is sync'd in iTunes.

I am a Mac guy, not a PC guy, so others will have to make suggestions about syncing or downloading photos to and from the iPhone. Photos are not sync'd by iTunes. You have to use something else to do that.

-----
Correction:
*Camera roll* photos are not sync'd by iTunes....

-----
You're right, I mis-spoke, it does not sync Camera Roll photos.

But that is the incorrect, but commonly meaning of sync or copy photos from the iPhone.

-----
my question is: then how to you back-up camera roll photos ? i seem to have lost a bunch of them (early ones), can't see them on my iphone, can't tell if they were backed-up somewhere on my mac.

-----
On a Mac you use iPhoto as default it opens and you drag them into a folder.

-----
I import them into iPhoto.

-----
When you plug your iPhone/iPod Touch into the computer, it should show up in your file manager (Windows Explorer in Windows, Finder in MacOS) as a camera. From there you can drag and drop your Camera Roll photos onto your computer.

IMO it's a glaring omission that iTunes does not sync these onto the computer for you. It syncs onto the computer other media content that is created/retrieved directly on the device, so why not photos too?

-----
I agree. I lost some iPhone photos until I realized they weren't synced like other things.

-----
I'm sorry, my iPhone does not show up on my Mac in Finder, and Camera Roll does not show up in iTunes.

Worked fine when I had a company PC, but not on my personal Mac.

As far as the glaring omission, Apple has not had the best track record for syncing photo over the years. And everyone seems to want to keep their photos in various places since many do not use iPhotos. iPhotos is not a free app. With the early iPhoto sync problems, I don't trust it.

-----
I never said it shows up in iTunes. In fact, I said that was the glaring omission.

If your iPhone does not show up in Finder, then something is wrong. Apple-to-Apple should work better than Apple-to-Windows and it works in Windows.

Maybe it's showing up as a device on your desktop?

-----
I believe the Apple-recommended method is to use iPhoto (or Aperture) to copy the "Camera Roll" photos to the desktop machine.

I have read that "Image Capture) (part of the Mac OS) works also.

-----
The iPhone won't show up in the Finder UNLESS it is attached as a USB device. That, in turn, takes more than just plugging it in through the USB cable. There are several apps, like "USB Disk", that can achieve this goal -- but just plugging the phone in won't do it.

-----
Make a fresh back up anytime you update any software, iPhone, PC or Mac, period,
just in case something happens.

-----
The phone doesn't show on finder that's windows to sync photos use iPhoto

-----

No comments: