Monday, November 22, 2010

Installed IOS 4.2.1 and 3GS

Apple iPhone - Installed IOS 4.2.1 and 3GS

Am I missing something here ???? I installed 4.2.1 on my 3GS and am not seeing any new features, especially Airprint. Any ideas as haw to access Airprint or is it not avaliable on a 3GS??? Are there any new features avaliable on the 3GS with 4.2.1 ?

iPhone iOS
Imge for FaceTime, article for Apple iPhone iOS
Have you installed OS X 10.6.5 and have a Shared Printer installed and Printer Sharing enabled in system preferences? In any message or web page hit forward and Print will be an option.

-----
Does the printer need to be a wifi printer?

-----
No, but printer needs to be on mac that is turned on, running 10.6.5 and shared.

-----
So those of us using Windows are out of luck?

-----
For now, yes - there should be a windows component coming down as part of the "Mobile Me Control Panel" item through Apple Software Update before the end of the month (probably by weekend).

-----
Well, not really. I bought one of the new HP Photoshop Plus printers, the B210A and my Iphone 3GS prints wonderfully to it. Even gives me message on Iphone if Ink is low. Also when you setup the printer the printer gets assigned its own unique email address. So wherever you are in the world just email photo or file to that address and it prints, also sends photos to photo print tray automatically. Printer sells for about $100

-----
Thats good to know.

-----
MacBook Pro (2009 model) running 10.6.5.
Printer sharing turned on in System Preferences
Both of the printer shown there check-marked

Safari shows the Airprint option, but cannot find the printers.

One printer is connected by USB to my Airport Extreme Base Station; the other is connected by ethernet to the same.

-----
I'm assuming your iPhone has wifi on and connected to the same network as Mac that printer is shared on?

-----
Correct.

-----
Honestly, I don't know what else to tell you to try, maybe call Apple Support - I have had my share of Mac / iOS / Computer related issues in general but Airprint (and Airplay) both 'just worked' for me - my setup sounds very similar to yours I have a "Network" Cannon PIXMA printer plugged into one of my routers and my other home printer is plugged into a Windows machine via USB, both are installed on my "main" Mac, Printer Sharing on, and both checked as being shared with "everyone" "can print" - last night I added the Cannon to the new MB Air for the first time and it showed up on the phone right after that.

The only possible difference is that I am running the Gold Master vs the "official" release but the build numbers are the same - 8C148 for both iPad WiFi & iPhone 4

-----
Just to clarify...does airprint work if you are on a windows platform not MAC??

-----
Not yet

-----
My bad, found it and it works well with my HP B210 Printer.

No comments: