Sunday, November 14, 2010

USB dongle

Apple iPhone - USB dongle

My husband and I live in RV parks exclusively. Our Internet was pretty good but they changed it and now it s*cks.

I signed up for a USB modem from AT&T. We both have 3Gs phones. Hubby is able to satisfy almost all his needs through his phone. I have him on the limited plan of 2Gig for $30.00. I am still on unlimited.

The USB modem was free after a rebate and I get 5 Gig a month for $60.00 a month. I had a 3rd phone line that the contract had just ended. So I upgraded to this USB dongle.

My primary usage is playing games online -card games. I have been playing with the same friends for 20 years.

Is this a good deal? I have been pleased with it so far.

I have about two more weeks to try this before I have to return it or keep it.

iPhone ATT
pHOTO Apple iPhone
That is the most important part, reception where you will be using it. Everything else is secondary

Why was the WiFi changed? Can you change it back?

-----
we used to have unlimited wi-fi in the park in Phoenix. But they then decided to use coupons that track everyone individually. This didn't work for us for 2 reasons. 1. Only one coupon per RV. That meant hubby could be online, or I could be. Since we are both fully disabled we are often both surfing at the same time. 2. They limited the amount of bandwith to such a minuscule amount it's really useless. So there is no going back on what we had.

They did the same thing in the RV park in San Diego. We even begged them to let us pay for our own account. But the RV parks buy a certain amount of bandwidth for the whole park.

I get excellent coverage in Phoenix and in San Diego with ATT. however we don't know where we will be spending next summer.

We had Hughes satellite for a long time. We still own the equipment but hubby is no longer able to get it set up when we move around. They don't allow RV'er to use their systems so we couldn't even call a tech out to help.

-----
Depends.

If you get great ATT reception where you travel, then stick with ATT. If you want to have the option of using a different network maybe you want to consider- Verizon has a MiFi unit that allows you to have a WiFi hotspot that can be used by up to 5 things, -computers, iPhone, iPads at a time. 5GB for $50-60, 2 year contract.

Sprint has it's MiFi for the same 5GB $50-60, 2 year. Virgin Mobile has their MiFi, unlimited use!, no contract, for $40 a month. Even though Virgin Mobile uses the Sprint towers it does not have full Sprint coverage. Look at the coverage maps in detail where you will use. They go to street level.

I have no experience with the USB or MiFi units, but keep looking at them for use with the various iDevices and the laptops when traveling or our power goes out. Pretty expensive for a toy though. Prices seem to be jumping around a little. I see pricing of $50 for 5GB and $59.99 for 5GB from the same company but am not clear what the difference is.

Don't you have the option to tether an iPhone to your laptop for less money than the USB?

You can always give it back in before your period is up and keep doing research.

Maybe there are better lists for cheapest, best data plans.

-----

No comments: