Saturday, November 27, 2010

iTunes unable to back up iPhone

Apple iPhone - iTunes unable to back up iPhone

When syncing my iPhone to my Windows Vista PC I now receive a message "iTunes could not back up the iPhone because the backup could not be saved on the computer. "

Can anyone tell me what to do to resolve this issue so I can then proceed in upgrading to the iOS 4.2 software?

iPhone iTunes
Why happen with Apple iPhone iTunes
I have had this problem. It seems a file in the backup got corrupted. Delete the current backup (move to a folder to keep in a safe place), A fresh backup will be made when you connect your phone to the computer again.

Backup can be found in your user name/ application data/ roaming/ applecomputer/ mobile sync/ Backup.

click on the backup folder to see another folder with many numbers and letters - move that to another place.

You should now have no problem saving another clean backup although it will take longer to create as it has no files it can skip because there are no former ones there.

-----
But, I still can't find application data under my user name. Is this info for a Mac (I have a Windows Vista PC)??

-----
The directory is AppData

-----
This happens to me almost every update. If it's the same problem I keep having with my PC, try this. Go into your Control Panel and select Programs and Features. When you see, in the list, iTunes, right click it. Then click Repair. After it gets repaired things start to work.

This is getting so routine for me that I do this while I'm downloading the update. And be sure to download the update only and not Download&Install.

Why? Cheap insurance that you get it to your PC safely.

Then when the window pops up showing what was downloaded, double click the file with the latest date (I would assume any one of these files would start the install process though) to start the installation process which will take many minutes. Good Luck!

PS: I really don't know why I have to go through this crazy process to install iTune updates. It shouldn't be like this. But such that it is...I do it and it works.

-----
You have to unhide hidden files to get to application data files. I have windows vista also. Open documents, go to organize in upper left hand corner. click on folder and search options, click on view tab. About 6 check marks down is Hidden files and folders Click on show hidden files. Now you should see application data under your name. This protection is so someone doesn't mess things up if they don't know what they are doing.

-----

No comments: