Friday, October 22, 2010

App for texting

Apple iPhone - Is there an app for "texting"?

I have a friend with whom I generally spend a lot of time emailing back and forth on the computer. However, her computer is in the shop and she's driving me crazy with texts -- I HATE texting on my phone. I like typing at my nice big Microsoft ergonomic keyboard. (Parenthetically, her phone isn't an iPhone and isn't on AT&T, so I'm not sure this question is completely OT -- forgive me if it's not!)

Is there any way that she can text on her phone, and I can send and receive at my computer?

iPhone Apps
Text apple iphone apps
Yes, there's an app for that.

Google you'll get plenty of hits. Maybe some of them will help you.

Can't she use email on her phone?

-----
Another option?
I don't text either, but have one friend that uses his phone for everything, text and email, he travels lots. We are not on the same network or plan so calls are not free and we are not big talkers.

I have a Google Voice number and give that out to everyone. In Google Voice can set it up to call/ring various land, VOIP, or mobile numbers.

But... with it come the ability to send and receive text msgs Free from a computer. GV sends the text to my email account and to my mobile phone if setup that way. I reply using the texting part of GV on my laptop.

As mentioned before we also email but that may depend on if he is using his phone or laptop. He can receive my emails and send on the phone if he wants but maybe harder.

-----
The texter can text to an email address then you can reply from your computer.

My parents and I do this sometimes.

-----
You can send and receive text through your AT&T online account on your computer.

-----
O2 provides this option in the UK too, so perhaps it is common with mobile phone providers.

No comments: