Friday, October 1, 2010

visual calendar

Apple iPhone - Visual Calendar I just purchased my first iPod -- 4th gen, 32gb. I have used Macs for 15 years, and Palm products for at least 5, but this is my first experience with ipod.

I like many things about it, so far. HOWEVER -- I can not BELIEVE that these idjit developers didn't put a week view in the default Calendar app. No week view?? SERIOUSLY??

I have already downloaded the "Week Cal" app, and it's a big step in the right direction. But does anyone have a good all-in-one solution to recommend? Something like DateBk4 from the Palm OS, or something more like iCal? It must be able to sync with iCal, but I never sync with online calendars so that wouldn't matter to me. I already use a good organizer/scheduler (Life Balance), but I need a good visual calendar to go with it.

iPhone Calendar
Calendar of apple iphone
Check out Pocket Informant. It used to be a palm app as well. It is very much like datebook and can use the emoji icons to make it look very much like datebook. It syncs with google calendar and also with toodledoical for to dos. I use it and am very pleased. Still miss datebook but am using Pimlical for the desktop so I can sync pocket informant to google and then to Pimlical ( desktop app made by the same developer as datebook).

-----
When I looked at the help files it states that pocket informant syncs with google calendar. Ical and outlook need to be synced with google calendar so that pocket informant can then read them. Toodledoical was a special ical from the toodledo website that syncs with google calendar. So I was not helpful for you to sync ical calendars without using the cloud. I had hoped PI would work for you.

-----
As a former Palm addict, I also tried Pocket Informant, but found it lacking. The app that does it all is CalenGoo. It was somewhat slow on my 3G but is blazingly fast on my iPhone 4. It syncs with Google Calendar almost flawlessly (nothing is perfectly flawless) which means I can use my desktop for multiple input then immediately copy the info to my iPhone. Likewise, when I'm at my office and put an appointment into my iPhone, I can sync it wirelessly to my desktop at my home. It is always up-to-date. I hope it is as satisfying for you as it has been for my use.


-----
Here ya go:

"Yes, CalenGoo can do this, but currently you still need a Google account to install CalenGoo. However you do not have to use it afterward. Just turn "Settings", "Display and Use", "Advanced", "General", "Show iPhone calendars" on, return to the calendar view to let CalenGoo load your calendars and then choose another default calendar under "Settings", "Display and Use", "Edit view", "Default calendar". You should also turn "Settings", "Auto sync" and "Settings", "Show login" off.

Afterward CalenGoo will work with your iPhone's calendars. You do not need to sync CalenGoo and you do not need to use the Google account that you created to install it.

In a future version it won't be necessary to have a Google account to install CalenGoo, but currently it reads e.g. the time zone information from this account. Additionally you can use shared calendars like holiday or sports calendars this way. They will be displayed in addition to your iPhone calendars in CalenGoo's calendar views."

I was very pleased. The designer responded within 2 hours of my query, and his instructions worked perfectly. Just make sure you set up a Google Calendar account before you install. As he says above, you don't need to sync to it -- you just need to have a username and password for the original installation.

I used one of my calendars from iCal as my default calendar, then added all my other iCal calendars as well.

No comments: