Saturday, October 9, 2010

Transfering iTunes content to new laptop

Apple iPhone - Transfering iTunes content to new laptop

I just bought a new MacBook pro. The laptop I'm issuing at this moment is toshibas windows xp. My question is how do I transfer all my iTunes content, music, videos and apps to the MacBook and sync my iPhone without losing anything?

I do not have any copy on an external drive, just what is on the laptop at the moment. I haven't done anything yet! As I mentioned I am using Toshiba's windows XP laptop and have my iTunes on that and sync my iPhone so far to that laptop!

Now I have a new MacBook pro and want to transfer all my iTunes content from the Toshiba to the MacBook pro. I want to know how I go about doing that so that when I sync my iPhone, all my stuff don't disappear?

iPhone iTunes
Mac book air oopen apple iPhone iTunes to Laptop
Do you have a backup of all your iTunes media on an external drive? If not, you've been pushing your luck, but can the 2 laptops "see" one another over your network?

Yes, I realise that;)

Any computer user should really keep backups, and that is even more important if you have a laptop as they are more likely to suffer from accidental damage or theft, so I would buy an external drive, back up the Toshiba to it, then copy from the backup to the Mac. You will then have a drive for future backups of the Mac.

If you don't want to do this, you can copy across your network from one to the other. Do you have file sharing set up?

-----
If you are near an Apple store I believe they will help you move PC files to your new Mac.

-----
Before you sync your phone copy the entire contents of the iTunes and my music folders on your pc, and copy them to the MacBook pro. You can do this by a cat 5 network cable plugged between the to. Then on the MacBook clean up the folders by deleting all files other then the music and .jpg files. Open up iTunes and tell it to find all music

-----
I moved from Toshiba Laptop to iMac couple of years ago. I sent message to Apple support asking what to do and they changed my purchased content so it could all be downloaded again.

:)

No comments: