Monday, October 25, 2010

MMe, iDisk & Doc2Go

Apple iPhone - MMe, iDisk & Doc2Go-Worth the money?

I just started the trial of Mobile Me and like the idea of not having to be wired to my computer to sync but I don't have Docs2Go Premium and I'm not sure I want to upgrade if I'm not going to keep MMe.

I want to be able to edit documents and spreadsheets and have them sync but the reviews of D2G Premium show a lot of problems. Is there anyone out there who uses these successfully? Do I spend the money?

iPhone MobileMe
Girl crack for apple iphone mobileme
What is it that you want to do, edit documents on your iPhone or just keep documents in sync between computers?

MMe's iDisk can sync between machines running OS X or Windows, but so will Dropbox and it is free for up to 2GB (which is a lot of documents).

Google Docs is another option, I think you get 1GB standard storage for Docs (in addition to 8GB in Mail and 1GB in Picasa) but you can buy an extra 20GB of storage for $5 per year (much cheaper than MMe) and they sell up to hundreds of TB storage and allows limited editing on mobile devices (with more advanced features in beta now).

As far as Docs to Go, I have been using different versions of it since Palm was the major smart phone market, I have the iPhone/iPad version as well as the Android version - the Desktop Sync software is a pain but iTunes supports syncing so of the files so you don't really need the desktop client anymore and it does interact with MobileMe and Google Docs for storage.

-----
What happens is that there are times when I have to edit documents, especially excel spreadsheets when I'm away from my desk. It would be great if I could then have the edited doc already available at my desk or available for anyone who is sharing that doc.

Right now, the docs are only read-only when I view them in D2G.

-----
I don't think that is possible with Docs 2 Go. To the best of my knowledge, Docs 2 Go does not cloud-sync. Meaning that you would have to be in direct WiFi range (ie, same local network) with D2G running on the host computer and then manually sync. This may work if you are in, say, the same office space but not if you're across town.

I didn't know that D2G has a viewer-only version.

You are actually asking two questions: Editing on the handheld, and remote syncing.

The first Docs 2 Go can do and does it very well. If the version you have does not edit and you want to edit, it is a worthwhile purchase.

-----
Latest version of Docs 2 Go has Google Dox, Box.net, Dropbox, iDisk, Public iDisk, and SugarSync support for "cloud" documents...

-----
Good to know. Then what the OP wants will work with Docs 2 Go and iDisk. Whether it's worth it, that's up to her(?) wallet. :)

-----
You can upgrade to D2G to one that will allow you to modify a spreadsheet, but it will not remotely update it to a server.

That takes something like Dropbox or MobileMe.

Look at QuickOffice, so you don't get orphaned by D2G, but you will need something else to update to a server others can access.

However, if you're also looking to be able to sync it while not local to your desk, then this won't work and you would need something more akin to Google Docs, which stores your documents in the cloud and is thus accessible from anywhere. Evaluate your security and privacy needs accordingly.

-----
I got the basic (non-"pro") D2G & I can edit on it. I haven't done it lately so I don't remember details, but I *have* edited on the ipad/phone & copied/synced back to pc.

I'm not sure, but maybe saving it saves it as a separate file with a new name, e.g. FileA becomes FileA (1).

Why would I be "orphaned" by D2G? even if they stop upgrades & whatnot I'd still have what I already have & be syncing thru iTunes.

No comments: