Friday, October 22, 2010

What's the best GPS w/VOICE on iPhone?

What's the best GPS w/VOICE on iPhone?

I'm looking to replace my Tom-Tom GPS. I've been told to get the MotionX GPS Drive ($0.99 right now on the app store), but it only includes 30 days of live, turn-by-turn navigation with voice. Then it's a separate purchase.

Any recommendations on this one? Is there another GPS w/voice that I should consider?

iPhone GPS
My little apple iphone gps
Are you replacing the tom-tom ap on your iphone? I recently got it, and love it - it does drain the battery a bit, but I just use my car charger with it.

-----
My mom and I will split the use of a Tom-Tom (she doesn't use a smart phone). I may do some long-distance travel, and regularly be out of 3G service. But,
for trips to local spots (within two hours), my phone would be what I would use.

-----
I find MapQuest works great and it's free.

-----
MotionX GPS Drive is very good. I've used it now for over a year, and the maps are very up to date, and it has gotten better with every update. One caveat, though, you have to be in 3G territory for the maps to update properly on the road. If not, you need to pre-load the maps.

-----
I bought Navion Mobile GPS when it was on sale for $29.99 and have really been impressed with it. Just checked on the APP store and the price is back up to $59.99. The turn by turn voice is very good.

-----
TomTom has live traffic that works great. My other choice is MotionX!

-----
I own MotionX GPS, MotionX GPS Drive, and TomTom Apps.

The first two download maps as needed over cellular or Wifi connections, which means that on my recent trip, they were not very helpful through most of Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri. Other than that, and ongoing payment for voice directions, they are very good.

They do have the option of simulating your trip, and downloading the relevant maps ahead of time and caching them.

What I actually *USE* most of the time is TomTom USA/Canada, which is a $60 App ($50 for just USA), and which occupies about 1.5 GB on your iPhone, but that's because it includes the maps and POI's within it. Voice directions are included; live traffic is available as an in-App purchase.

Since getting this, and the TomTom Car Kit, my Garmin Nuvi 760 has lived in my wife's car.

-----
I use Magellan RoadMate. I love it. I has voice which can be changed to your liking. Easy to use.

No comments: