Friday, October 15, 2010

Repeating Address

Apple iPhone - Repeating Address

I have had trouble with the IPhone4 adding the same addresses to my list. I get up to 5-6 and delete them down to one and within a day are two The addresses repeat again. Today I have as many as five addresses for each person!

Iphone Syncing
Apple iphone syncing
Sync with either MobileMe or iTunes, but not both.

-----
Hmmm?...now that is interesting. I am having all kinds of problems with MobileMe creating duplicate events/appt's so I wonder if eliminating the syncing of iTunes will resolve the problem.

In iTunes, under Edit/Preferences/Devices, is that where I can temporarily stop iTunes from syncing...and just have MobileMe sync, or is there another menu somewhere that I should look at?

-----
Yes - you don't sync with iTunes AND MobileMe or for that matter MobileMe and anything else if it is the same data. For example if you are syncing MobileMe for Contacts on iPhone and Mac (or iPhone and PC) you don't also sync with Google on the PC if they are the same contacts or it will be duplicated Google will sync with computer and computer will sync with MobileMe copying everything there back and forth (same thing with Calendars). I use both but for different data, Google / GMail is business and MobileMe is personal so there is no duplication and both are isolated from each other on computers and on the phone show up either all together or if selected from the menu, either or any combination of them.

-----
I understand all that - but how does one fix it?

I made that mistake over a year ago, and I've been battling it ever since!

I now have up to 45,000 contacts in outlook which I can easy pare down to 2-3,000 and delete deleted items.

But last time I synced, even telling iTunes to replace contacts on the phone with outlook contacts, I'm up to 140,000 on the phone and 45,000 in Outlook again.

I have purchased a couple iTunes apps to eliminate duplicates, but they crash above 30,000 and I have run scanpst on my outlook file.

Is the solution to empty the contacts on the phone completely? If so, how does one do that?

Im driving 100 miles to the apple store next weekend to see if they will replace me cracked front glass on my 4 - do they have tools that can fix they contact problem?

-----
If they give you a new phone, just start fresh on the phone and only sync through OTA (Over the Air) services. I can't really help with Outlook (haven't used it since I was betaed into Gmail nearly 10 years ago) - I can tell you that when I made the mistake of adding 'contacts' on new Mac Mini to MobileMe and I ended up with MobileMes contacts in Gmail and Gmails contacts in MobileMe - First I turned off on Mini then I turned off both on the phone (was prompted to remove or keep contacts, I selected remove) then I logged into MobileMe and deleted all the GMail contacts then logged into GMail and deleted the MMe contacts but I didn't have 140k and 45k, I had 2k in GMail and about 200 in MobileMe...

-----
These are my instructions to myself when I have duplicate iCal events, which I learned here. I think you can do the same thing for your Contacts problems.

Removing Double Calendar Entries

1. Go to iPhone Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars

2. under Accounts click on your MobileMe account. Then you should have Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, and Find My iPhone all with On/Off toggles.

3. Toggle calendar off. It will then give you an option to "keep on my iphone", "delete from iphone" or "cancel". Choose “Delete.”

4. Then toggle Calendar back on and let it resync to MobileMe.

No comments: