Sunday, December 12, 2010

Wiki-type app that syncs to desktop?

Apple iPhone - Wiki-type app that syncs to desktop?

I'm looking for a Wiki-type application that syncs to a Windows desktop.

I find that I am in need of a personal "knowledge base" that I can carry around with me on my iPod Touch as well as do most of the data maintenance from a full size computer. Is there such a thing?

I've previously tried HanDbase, but can't stand its desktop app and I find its handheld app to be barely usable. I do have ListPro, but as good as that is for what I use it for, it appears to be unsuited to what I am currently looking for.

iPhone Apps
Wiki type of Desktop Apple iPhone Apps
Let me know if you find one. I used to use the one for palm year ago. I forget the name.

I also miss Mathpad for the palm. I wish there was a good replacement for it on the iPhone.

-----
Trunk Notes is a superb wiki for iOS.
It doesn't really sync to the desktop though. It does connect to the desktop via wifi though so that you can type on the desktop. It also backs up to Dropbox.

It's very good.

-----
I have not found what you are looking for either. In the meantime, for freeform text, webpage content, and pdfs, I use Evernote on the desktop and on my iPhone. It is nicely searchable.

For structured text data, ie records and fields, I export delimited text from my desktop database app and import the structured text into the iPhone using CSV Touch, which is very good at providing sorts and searches for the data and has "data detectors" for launching urls and dialing the phone from data in its records. Data in CSV Touch cannot be edited on the iPhone, only viewed and copied.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/csv-touch/id286776951?mt=8

-----
I store a fair amount of information in CarbonFin Outliner. Which is an outliner, not a wiki, but it's reasonably easy to use.

-----

No comments: