Saturday, December 11, 2010

Stand alone calendar program

Apple iPhone - Stand alone calendar program

I am looking for a stand alone PC calendar program that will sync with the calendar program that came with my iphone 3G. Any suggestions?

iPhone Calendar
Do you have the best Apple iPhone Calendar
I found that the default calendar program was too weak to meet my needs, but if you are willing to allow Google Calendar to help you out, it will sync with both your iPhone and MS Outlook. And Google Calendar on its own offers high quality schedule management and sharing.

If you are looking for a more functional iPhone calendar app, I suggest that you take a look at Pocket Informant. It also syncs with Google Calendar, and offers more display, scheduling, and task-planning options than does the iPhone's default calendar.

-----
I spent over 30 minutes trying to sign up for Google calendar. I entered the scrambled word at least 20 times only to find that I had not entered it correctly. I never got it right so I gave up. Is it a "d" or a "c" with an "l" next to it. That's why I gave up.

I only need a calendar to remember astronomy events like the upcoming lunar eclipse.

-----
Google definitely has a preset shared moon calendar. Not sure why it was so hard for you to create a Google account, I just created another one for storage and took less than a minute for GMail, GCal, GDocs, and GVoice...

-----
icalshare.com and icalworld.com have lots of calendars including astronomy calendars designed for ical.

-----
I was successful in setting up a Google account. What do I have to do to have the iPhone sync with Google Calendar?

-----
If you just want Calendar (and/or mail and/or notes) then setttings > Mail/contacts/calendar > Add > Google > username/address/password and turn On which of the three options you want. If you want to sync Contacts and Calendar then you need to use Exchange instead of Google username is full email address, password, next then server is m.google.com

-----
Thanks to everyone for the help, BUT... Isn't there a "local", (in my PC) calendar program that will sync with iPhone? (like address book syncs to contacts) I kind of like Google calendar but having to set up accounts with exchange an all is getting too complex and unnecessary. There has to be a simpler way.

-----
According to this page:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/more-features.html

the iPhone calendar app syncs with Microsoft Outlook.

-----
Microsoft Outlook?

-----
Finally... I got it working. Again, thanks for all the help everyone. I just had to read a tutorial a second time to understand the setup instructions. It will be nice not to have to use the tiny keyboard to make updates.

No comments: