Saturday, December 4, 2010

Car use

Apple iPhone iPod Touch - Car use

I have a 2nd Generation iPod Touch that my wife and I use to listen to audio books while we are making our weekly 100 mile (one way) drive. I also 'have' a Kensington Liquid Aux holder/stand/charger. I like the fact that it charges the iPod while it is playing. Last week the part that fits into the power port broke - the tip came off and it tripped a fuse in the car.

I got the tip out, so there is no damage. I was able to re-assemble the item but I don't trust the thing. If I were to make a permanent fix I would glue the plastic seam the separated back and hope that works. Like I said, I don't trust is.

On the trip back I plugged the aux cord in and it worked fine. It did not charge the iPod though. I plugged in the charger cord I have through the working power port, but the sound cut off as soon as I did. I can use an arrangement like this when using house power, but not a car.

I am not fond of putting the weight of the iPod int the power port - I was afraid of damaging the port, but it looks like I damaged the device instead.

Does anybody know of a device that will let me charge and play the iPod at the same time? There is something from Griffin that works like the Liquid Aux but it uses FM and it still mounts in the power port. I attempted to use the car's USB port, but that did not work well. Is there something that uses a suction mount that allows me to charge and play at the same time.

iPhone Touch
What the best Apple iPhone Touch
http://img.youtube.com/vi/IwFgO5WizGM/0.jpgYou can find a bunch here:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/ipod_accessories/car_audio?mco=M\
TcyMTgzNTk


-----
Call Kensington, they will probably replace it for you. They have replaced two trackball devices for me over the last 12 years, no questions asked. And once was just because the silver paint came off. I was just trying to give them feed back ask to the quality of their paint choice.

No comments: