Monday, December 13, 2010

Static Electricity and my iPhone

Apple iPhone - Static Electricity and my iPhone

I have the iPhone 3G. I had the earbuds in talking on the phone and my coat rub up against my earbud wire. Static electricity popped and my left speaker on the phone has gone out. Even if I hook my phone up to an outside source the left side is not working. I was hoping it would be my earbuds but they are fine. Can this be repaired or am I down to the right side only for speakers.

iPhone Headphone
Earbud electricity on Apple iPhone Headphone
I guess you blue out the left audio amp on the 3G. I doubt it could be fixed and if it could be fixed it would be expensive. I assume you don't have Apple Care or it has run out. So you only have two choices, live with only one speaker or replace the phone. You should be able to find another 3G for a low price or wait until you are allowed an upgrade.

-----
You could connect to the dock connector using an adapter such as this:

SendStation - Products - PocketDock Line Out USB

http://sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-usb.html

but the volume would not be adjustable. I tried it with my iPhone 2G and a pair of Sennheiser PMX 60 headphones. The volume was too loud for me, but this would depend on the headphone or earbuds you have. You might also need an inline volume control on your headphones or ear buds such as this:

Koss 164210 VC20 In-Line Headphones Volume Controller
http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/kssvc20.html

-----
If you are looking at the front of your phone (home page), the sound normally only comes out of the bottom left speaker to begin with. For instance, if I cover the hole on the bottom, just left of the place I plug in my phone to charge, the sound is muted.

Are you sure that you're not just now noticing that sound only (normally) comes out of one speaker/hole?

No comments: