Friday, December 24, 2010

Manage contacts

Apple iPhone - Manage contacts



I'm a new user of an iPhone 3GS.

I was wondering if anyone is using a software to backup, edit contacts that could point out. I've searched the internet but didn't find anything useful.

I've used outlook to backup but I wish I could use something else, I just don´t like the idea of mixing my cellphone contacts with my emails.

iPhone Tutorial
Nearest subway by Apple iPhone Tutorial
I’m not happy with the way the iPhone syncs with outlook either but for a different reason. It seems new/updated outlook information makes its way to the iPhone fine but new/updated iPhone information never finds its way to outlook.

Does anyone know if Gmail syncs both ways with the iPhone?

I guess I could pay for mobile.me but I’m only interested in syncing contacts.

-----
So how good is to have all your contacts on iPhone and no where else and if it breaks, get stolen etc you loose everything?

Since I´m new to iPhone world, I decided to do some testings with contacts update/backup and came to this conclusion when using iTune 10.1, MS outlook 2003 from MS Office and (not outlook express which I use for emails and didn't want to mess up with) on Windows XP to sync:

When you sync first time with outlook and it is empty, all contacts goes from iPhone to outlook It will ask you if you want to merge, and since my MS outlook was empty, it was OK to do.

Every time you switch places to sync your contacts in iTunes, it asks this question, which is good.

Then:

If you add a new contact on iPhone and sync, it will go to outlook if you delete a contact on iPhone and sync, it will delete on outlook too and it works the same way around, both ways.

In other words: The newer action on either side will prevail when you sync But the most important thing you can do if you really care about your contacts:

When you have outlook updated with iPhone contacts and it is all OK, I strongly suggest, on outlook, export your contacts to a file and then choose MS Excel, as soon as possible and every time you sync, and with a different file name every time.

I prefer excel file format, because Excel is widely available, and you still have a tool to edit them, the MS Excel itself and it worked perfectly.

To test it out, I deleted all contacts on outlook and synced to iPhone..guest what: All contacts on iPhone had vanished.

Since I made that Excel file, I just imported it back to outlook and synced again, and all the contacts on iPhone went back to normal. Remember, the last action prevails.

The good thing about outlook you can edit, fix, delete... you contacts using your computer screen/keyboard which is easier than on the iPhone itself.

If you want to make a test that your contacts are safe:

Sync your contacts with Outlook 2003, make sure they are OK.

unplug the iPhone USB, so you don´t delete the contacts by accident.

On outlook export your contact to a file, Excel if you prefer and/or other formats that are available, to make sure.

Delete all contacts from Outlook.

Import that excel file back. If outlook shows your contacts back like before, than you are safe!

It should work like that, if not, there is something wrong with your computer, excel etc.

-- BUT REMEMBER, DO IT ALL AT YOUR OWN RISK --

I also managed to sync my contacts with yahoo http://address.mail.yahoo.com/ and it worked too...you can even export from Yahoo to a file (excel or many others) back to your PC to be on the safe side. It is a good idea to do that first, before playing with outlook just to make sure.

I did not not manage to test contacts with pictures since I don´t have them on iPhone, so I don't know what would happen.

The steps of working with excel, export/import files, iTunes etc...I assume you already know that and are beyond this matter.

To copy pictures and movies from the iPhone, just use copy/paste on your PC, just like a flash drive, which is way better and safe than any dedicated software, because you have full control.


PS. All that above already came in handy. I was trying to do some other updates on my iPhone lately and managed to totally erase it!

-----
I use address book to synch it to. Its in two places.

-----
I know that works on a Mac. Does it also work on a PC?

No comments: