Saturday, January 8, 2011

Pocket informant

Apple iPhone - Pocket informant



This app, which was very kindly suggested to me by this group, beats all others in the genre hollow. It is amazing. It gives you your whole month's calendar to you at a glance on your iPhone. Unbeatable. Worth every bit of the 12 + $ tag.

iPhone Apps
Apple iPhone Apps
But it doesn't sync with iCal or mobile me

-----
I entirely agree that Pocket Informant turns the iPhone/iPod Touch into a truly useful PDA. I gave up using my Palm TX only after discovering Pocket Informant (PI).

By syncing with Google Calendar, I can also sync all appointments to my networked office PC, which runs MS Outlook. My secretary thus knows exactly when I'm free and when I'm not, and she can set up new appointments in MS Outlook that then appear on PI.

Because both PI and Google Calendar will subdivide appointment calendars into "work" and "personal," my work calendar is not cluttered with my personal appointments. I also use the category tags for my appointments. PI helps to make the Blackberry phones obsolete.

-----
Hmm....wasn't paying attention to this thread much...UNITL u mentioned the palm.

My BIG BIG question is this....do I still have to click on calendar to get it to open...or will it automatically be there in the forefront like the palm?

If I don't have to remember to keep clicking on the calendar, it would make my life so much nicer... :)

-----
To open a program, any program, you always have "click on it". Even (especially?) on a Palm. The difference there is that Palm has a hardware button that is defaulted to the calendar (which can be changed). On the iPhone, you can place any four apps you want into the App Dock, which serves the same function. My iPod Touch has Music, Calendar, ListPro and Settings there.

-----
Thanks, The tray/app dock at the bottom [to me anyway] is similar to how the calendar is. It's the first icon on my first page but I guess I like how the palm did it. oh well. I still like the informant though...and I do believe that I read on their website that it can now sync to the iCal program. :)

-----
True but one can sync to google and from there sync to various other calendars. Tasks are an issue. I use the toodledo pocket informant link and then sync to google. It serves my purposes which are very basic ;-)

-----
Does it keep track of which tasks aren't finished and moved them to the next day so you don't lose track of them?

Can you schedule items that repeat on odd patterns, e.g. every three days, or the 3rd Wednesday of each month? These are things I really miss from my Palm Treo that iCal just can't do on the iPhone.

-----
It does it all.

-----
Yes - there are custom repeats. The undone tasks are moved forward.

Also there are levels that can be given to each task - low to top priority. When a task is overdue a red notifier appears on the app icon. Also the tasks can be synced to Toodledo and from there can be shown on google calendar.

As a replacement for Datebk6 it is capable. Too bad CESD Didn't work on datebook for iPhone. He does have one for Android :-(

-----
I did not realize that there was a DateBK for Android. Both the iPhone and Blackberry Phones are in a desperate need of a DateBk type app that CESD is so famous for. I just do not know why he never pursued one for the iPhone.

No comments: