Tuesday, January 11, 2011

*Verizon Wireless & Apple Team Up to Deliver iPhone 4 on Verizon*

Apple iPhone - VZW iPhone Press Release - *Verizon Wireless & Apple Team Up to Deliver iPhone 4 on Verizon*



Hmmm

Not sure I have this right. But does this mean vz iPhone 4 can tether on unlimited data

I am guessing this says a laptop with wifi can use vz iPhone ?

That could be a draw if I have it right

Also iPads as well? No need to get $14.99 plan for iPad?

Do I have that right?

iPhone Verizon
Apple iPhone Verizon
The Verizon iPhone will have a "3G Hotspot" aka a MyFi / MiFi that allows you to connect up to 5 WiFi devices simultaneously. I currently do this with my Droid Incredible and is incredibly easy, I tap turn on and every WiFi device sees the hot spot, I enter the password that I set up and it connects and I have internet connectivity - so yes you can drop your iPad data plan and use it to connect your laptop, your iPad, anything that can pick up a WiFi signal.

-----
And some of us are *still* waiting for 3G service from ATT. (sigh)

-----
Agree. Long wait for 3G in NW Ohio

-----
I bet AT&T will have to follow and provide that capability if people start flocking to Verizon.

-----
Now to me. THAT is a selling point

I will b interesting to see if Att counters or ratchets up

I would expect Att to 'sit and watch'

But thus form of tethering would be huge 2 me

-----
The monthly charge is I think $50 something a month?

-----
Ok. Yes. Price will have a place in all this If vz price that much higher. Than savings are not there. Just convenience.

-----
Except that CDMA/EVDO Rev A maxes out at about 1.5 Mbps. None too fast. Divided among Wifi-attached devices.

-----
How much does verizon charge extra for the ability to be a hot spot?

-----
Currently, if you 'pay' for the feature it is $20 on top of your data plan ($29.99) so if you have data + 3g hot spot it is $49.99/mo. The hot spot feature can be turned on/off as needed and the data plan is required if you have a 'smart' phone. AT&T's tethering plus data plan is $45 but has a 2GB cap where Verizon's is 5GB.

Personally, I have the unlimited data plan on VZW Droid and grandfathered in on AT&T iPhone 4. I have used the hot spot feature occasionally on VZW (turned it on for a couple days here and there) and it was always pro-rated at about 70 cents per day.

No comments: