Thursday, January 27, 2011

"Notes" App Synchronization

Apple iPhone - Notes App Synchronization



I have an iPad (WiFi + 3G), a 3GS iPhone, both running iOS 4.2, this Intel MacBook Pro I am writing on, and an Intel iMac desktop. All the settings I am aware of on all 4 devices are set to automatically sync my Notes app's (present on all 4) wirelessly via MobileMe. I have very current notes on the iPad (which is where the majority of my Notes writing occurs), but cannot get it to sync with the other devices. Am I mistaken, or did iPad and iPhone (3GS and 4) become enabled to sync Notes over the air if they are running iOS 4.2? What's even more unusual is that when I changed a Notes font setting on MobileMe on my iMac, the font changed on the iPad, but it still will not sync with the contents of the iPad Notes (i.e., won't even sync with MobileMe). Any suggestions? I did hear somewhere that there was a new procedure required to run Find My iPhone or Find My iPad after iOS 4 came out, but don't know if that has anything to do with Notes synchronization.

iPhone Apps
Apple iPhone Apps
with 4.x (4.0 on iPhone and 4.2 on iPad) Note Sync was done by account. In other words in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendar each account allows you to turn Notes On or Off. In the Notes App itself in the top right hand corner there is an "< Accounts" button and you might find that you have two or more options. For example, I have "All Notes", "BB-GMail", "BB-MMe", "From My Mac", and "Ofc-GApps" - meaning I can view "All Notes" (similar to "All Inbox", this Gmail, my MMe account, Notes on my Mac (from iTunes syncing I guess), and my Work/Office Google Apps account. I am guessing you will find yours saving your notes to one account on the iPad and a different account somewhere else...

-----
I think you are exactly right. I did a couple of quick tests with that hypothesis in mind, and it makes sense. Now I have to take the time to look at the four different computers and work out where the accounts are exactly and how to work out the sync situation so things go to the right places.

-----
Well, I had turned off all notes on my email accounts and I didn't realize that my notes were in my email accts. I just went back and turned on my notes again and wala all of my notes are back! WHEW!!

-----
When I first started to use Notes, I looked for a long time, posted a few list queries here and finally figured out that the Notes were stored in Apple Mail on my Macs.

No comments: