Thursday, January 13, 2011

Upgrade Without Plan Change?

Apple iPhone - Upgrade Without Plan Change?



I have a 2+ year-old 3G on an unlimited plan, and I wondered if there is any way to upgrade the handset without changing the plan. Any ideas?

iPhone Tutorial
Apple iPhone Tutorial
I have upgraded iPhone every time a one has come out and never had to change plans. Since you have the 3g, you may have the 200 free SMS per month. SMS is not included with the new handset so you will have to ad a plan for that. Call 611 on your iPhone and talk to a sales rep. The call is free.

-----
You don't have to change your plan but watch it closely after you upgrade. I recently upgraded from a 3G with unlimited plan to an iPhone 4 and they automatically changed the data plan to the new 2GB capped plan. The guys at the AT&T store said they entered the info correctly but it just got changed. They also said they've seen it happen multiple times. You can have your original plan but you might have to spend some time talking to AT&T to get it right.

-----
Happened to me too when I upgraded to the 4. Got it changed back without trouble.

-----
I just upgraded my 18 month old 3Gs to an iPhone 4 and kept the unlimited plan with no problem. That being said, I think AT&T is more than a little bit unhappy with my data usage. They sent me a cute little mailer with a note saying that my current plan was an appropriate one for me, but noting the amount of my data usage with a note to "watch it"

-----
Can they really say anything to you. I mean with having an unlimited data plan. What cam they really say?

-----
What they can say is, "Your contract with ATT is terminated due to excessive data use."

"Unlimited" really isn't unlimited. In fact, I've heard that one way to get out if your contract without paying an early termination fee is to start downloading many gigs of data; lots of movies, for example. You will first receive a warning from ATT, then a contract termination notice.

Seems like a method worth trying if you really want to switch to Verizon but are locked into a two-year contract. ONLY if you have the unlimited data plan, however.

No comments: