Friday, January 14, 2011

Airport router vs Cisco Valet

Apple iPhone - Airport router vs Cisco Valet



I am in need of replacing a dying Linksys WRT54G router. We have had it for years so it has been a long time since I have had to set up a network in the house and I recall that it was not an easy feat when I did it years ago but I finally got a working network where we have a PC laptop, iMac, 2 iPhones, 3 TiVos and a wireless printer. I dread having to do this once again when I get the new router so I am hoping to find something that is easy.

I have been seeing on TV the Cisco Valet which is advertised to be easy peasy to set up so I am contemplating purchasing the Valet. I also am thinking of buying the Apple Airport Extreme MC340LL/A or the AirPort Express Base Station MB321LL/A There is a pretty substantial difference between the Valet ($89 on Amazon) and Airport Extreme ($159.00) and am looking for feedback on the 3 routers.

iPhone wifi
Apple iPhone wifi
I can speak only to the Airport Extreme. I like it. Easy to set up using a Mac and I've had no problems. Wireless printer, iPhone, ATV all have "found" it

-----
I agree, I have a mixed network of four Macs and one Linux server using my Airport Extreme. Very easy setup and it allows me to have a network drive and my HP Laser plugged into it.

-----
Do not get the Airport Extreme. It's way overpriced, is actually not that easy to set up, doesn't support NTFS for USB attached network storage, and it runs extremely hot. Mine cooked itself after about two years.

For roughly the same price as the Valet, you can get a Netgear that has more functionality and is incredibly easy to set up. Mine was little more than simply plugging it in and giving it the same network settings the Airport had. Total time from taking it out of the box to being fully online was about 5 minutes, and most of that was taken up by plugging in the physical connections (network cables to the modem and wired items and power cord).

-----
I recommend the airport express. That's my favorite.

-----
I agree with Jeff. Apple charges too much for the same thing. It is harder to configure than alternatives, that are cheaper. I bought an Extreme and still use it and it runs very hot compared to others.

I suggest you avoid NetGear. I have experience with several that just stopped working after a year or two. I set these up for both daughters and a couple friends. Several units died after about a year.

I find Linksys to be more durable, reasonable in price, and very easy to configure, compared to Apple.

-----
I'm on my 4th Apple Airport, they seem to last me about 2.5 years, although I honestly don't remember buying number 3, which would up the longevity.

I have kept my flat on a desk or shelf, but would not call them hot. Warm enough to attract a cat, definitely. Warm enough to cook itself, I would think not, but then again I am only getting about 2.5 years each. And yes, I did have an early ones with the overheating capacitors.

Since I keep staying with Apple, it is literally plug and play. I usually don't even change the wall wart.

-----
> I'm on my 4th Apple Airport, they seem to last me about 2.5 years, although I honestly don't remember buying number 3, which would up the longevity.

If my Netgear router lasts as long as the Airport, I'll have gotten more value out of it since it costs less.

> I have kept my flat on a desk or shelf, but would not call them hot. Warm enough to attract a cat, definitely. Warm enough to cook itself, I would think not, but then again I am only getting about 2.5 years each. And yes, I did have an early ones with the overheating capacitors.

I got the Airport Extreme to replace a Linksys shortly after I got the iPhone 3G, which was about two weeks after its release (I wasn't in line early enough) because the Linksys wouldn't let the iPhone connect to WiFi.

The Airport died on my a few months ago. It always ran hot. Maybe not hot enough to literally cook itself, but it was definitely more than warm to the touch, and sometimes the top surface was on the hot side. Apple said that was normal.

-----
I just had a slightly different experience.

I'm not getting a lot more life out of them than you, especially if you compare it to the life I have gotten out of two G4 desktops. I ran both full-time at full processor capacity for nearly 6 years running Folding@Home. In that time I replaced a fan in each and a power source in one. They both still function today.

As for bang for my buck, no, you are getting better value, but you know what you are doing, but many of us need the easier route.

Just remember, for most of us, wireless router set up is an moderately advanced task. That is why we turn to you, the expert for help, Jeffery. I have in the past had a uncommon set up and it required assistance to set up and troubleshoot. They have rolled some of what I was doing into current versions of the software.

-----
I am far from being an actual expert in it, I do not support routers, wired or wireless, for a living or anything. What I am is a technically minded computer geek, and I do work in IT. My only practical experience with routers is my own, and some family and friends.

I actually found the Airport Extreme to be harder to setup and maintain. The only time I've had to call Linksys for support on my old Linksys routers was when one of them actually broke, when I was trying to do something truly advanced, or when it wouldn't let my iPhone connect. I have not (yet?) had to contact Netgear support. The Airport, otoh, I had to call Apple several times because the setup was just plain obtuse. In trying to something only slightly more than a basic config, I even managed to stump the tech at Apple!

The problem I have with the Airport setup is that it uses a proprietary client-side configuration program rather than a web based setup like everyone else. Apple's Airport Manager has too many menus, toolbars and tabs, AND you need to be running their Bonjour Service (Windows) to even use the software. (If you're using an iOS device, you pretty much have to be running that service anyway...) The same setting I was looking for is easy to find on the old Linksys and my new Netgear.

-----
Interesting.

I'm still using the DLink router I've had for...at least 6 years, I forget exactly...& have had no problems connecting my various iDevices from the 2nd gen Touch to the iPhone4. They all find the router, ask for & accept my p/w, & I'm up & running.

-----
Do you have to reset it once a day at least?

-----
If you mean me & my DLink, no.

I hardly *ever* reset it. It's connected to my DSL modem & on 24/7 unless I either turn off all the power or the server goes down or somesuch.

Even if my computer is off it's still on & blinking & I can wifi with my iToys.

-----
I have an Airport Extreme mounted vertically on the wall in a special mount that Apple has and it runs no hotter than my old Buffalo or Linksys routers.

-----
Is there any wireless router which does not need a windows or Mac computer to set up?

Since in normal cases, a CDĂ‚ is provided and needs to be run in the computer; It asks many questions so as to set parameter and this is a very daunting task for an average user.

-----
Yes. Most (all?) default to using DHCP, which means that they automatically allocate addresses to computers on the LAN (local area network). You just connect the router to your modem (assuming you have a separate DSL or cable modem) and switch it on. This gets you working straight away but you have an unprotected network until you go into the admin function and enable encryption, etc.

IMO setup CDs (often Windows-only) are supplied only because the setup in Windows used to be so unnecessarily difficult (I assume that is no longer the case with Vista or Win7).

We have a Belkin 54G router and this just worked straight away with our Macs.

-----
Ditto for me. I have a wireless printer, MacBook Pro, iPhone, Apple TV, and husband’s MacBook; all of these have no problems at all getting and staying connected.

No comments: