Sunday, January 16, 2011

Splitting tracks

Apple iPhone iTunes - Splitting tracks



I have an audiobook that is 1-long-track (it was ripped to mp3 from cassette by a relative -- it's not available as an audible d/l & even the cd is...hard or impossible to find, so I take what I can get!).

What would y'all suggest I use to split it up into smaller chunks?

iPhone
Apple iPhone
I prefer using iTunes by creating AAC versions of each segment you want it split.

Get Info > Options > set the Start Time and Stop Time > OK
Then Create AAC Version.
Then do it again with another segment.

This would be hard work since it's all manual. But this is the only way you can be sure the audiobook is not cut in the middle of a chapter.

-----
Having been clued in to the "options box" menu to change the type from "music" to "audiobook" at least the file now has the 30-sec-backup button on screen, which helps a lot.

I tried the iTunes split method -- easy & works. I don't see any need to try other s/w at this time.

I don't know what Archie means by not being cut in mid-chapter. The whole book is one-long-file. If I try to AAC it by time, I'd have no way of knowing it's not splitting in mid*sentence*.

It's only a couple of hours long, so wouldn't be that much work to convert in, say, 30-minute chunks (with some overlap, perhaps). I may or may not get around to doing it, depending on when I want to listen to it. :-)

-----
What I meant was, for your case, I would look for the end of a chapter and take not of the time. And then I'd cut it right there so I'll have the audiobook cut by chapter. One chapter, one file.

-----
There's an app called Audiobook Builder. However, it isn't free...about $10. If you're using a Mac, you could check it out here: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23162/audiobook-builder

I used it and to split a long audiobook track. Worked for me.

-----
I second audiobookbuilder. I listen to lots of audiobooks and this app is $10.00 well spent!

If you're on a Windows machine, Google free audio file splitters. I believe there's quite a few of them.

mp3bookhelper should do it for ya.

No comments: