Friday, January 28, 2011

Wiped all my data

Apple iPhone - Wiped all my data (again)



For the second time in a year, my iphone 3G has inexplicably wiped a large number of my Notes - just gone!

I sync with a Windows XP desktop to MS Outlook using iTunes. I do not sync with any other machine. Sometime about last Summer, a number of Notes just vanished, and I had a session with an Apple guru lasting several hours (yes - hours) before we got stability again. All has been well since, but, looking for some data today, I suddenly find that only 9 out of 22 or 23 Notes are still on the iPhone. They are missing from Outlook too so this must have occurred before the last sync. This is my impportant data and this ............. iPhone is simply destroying it. My impression has been all along that the iPhone is not really quite compatible with the MS software - only 99% stable, not 100%.

Help! Will the backup (or an archive in Outlook) have the data? Last time there was another source to reconstitute much of it from but not this time.

iPhone Tutorial
Apple iPhone tutorial
I quit using the notes app because of that kind of stuff...things missing & sync problems all the time. I don't have time to be fighting my phone or worried that something won't be there next time I need it! I am an extremely busy mom to 3 young children & have my own business. I bought the awesome notes app (corny app name I know) & it is my favorite! I had tried about 10 others before I settled on this one... It syncs everything with google

-----
I too had issues with Notes from apple on the iphone. This was early in the iphone emergence. I lost valuable data and at that time there was no way I could figure out to back it up. I've abounded apples notes and have mored over to a web based app called Evernotes. They have an app for the iPhone and with Safari on the mac it's easy to retrieve. I can also retrieve on any machine, windows and mac the info in Evernote. This works for me and I love it. Do some research. Evernotes.

-----
I don't do a lot of notes (iPhone4), so I just email them to my home address occasionally. I haven't lost any on syncs anyway.

-----
When I attempt to go to my Evernote web address a pop-up warning says it is a possible phishing site and it won't let me override it even though it has an ignore button.

I am testing two note apps trying to decide which I will keep. Simplenote and YouNote. Both are easy and free, and allow email backup.

-----
Make sure it is www.Evernote.com
It is not a phishing site.

-----
I also recommend Notebooks.

-----
Sorry to hear that Nick. Could it be the syncing software and not the iPhone that is losing the data?

I use a Mac and I have not lost a note or any data in the almost 2 years I have had my iPhone. Problems with duplicates, yes, but no problems with losing notes.

-----
Have located the umpteen bits of data now. I agree with those other users who have found the MS/iPhone combination a tad less than reliable. Now could that ever be said of any other of Mr Gates's products - now be honest.

Last Summer, I had a major loss, and, as I said in my first message in this thread, was literally hours on the phone to one of the Apple techies before he got my Notes back and the combination stable and predictable. I was struck by his volunteering, without me offering question or comment, that "We know the software to be stable with Windows", almost sounding like he was talking to himself. It sounded to me like he was convincing himself. All I can say is that the Calendar does slightly odd things (that aren't always deletable) with the Outlook Calendar, particularly on repeating appointments. And the Notes are liable to duplicate themselves when amended, synced to Outlook, then synced back. And sometimes they vanish (twice for me). It is, as I said before, only about 99% reliable. I'd set up a file in Windows to save the Outlook *.pst file daily to a different place if it wasn't going to fill the HDD in no time!

-----
Get a MobileMe account and synchronise both your Outlook and iPhone through there.

Happens over the air and seems to work much better with Outlook and it's flakiness.

-----
I had the same thing happen 2 me but all of my notes were wiped out I powered off the phone & turned it back on & all of the notes were back it only happened once & hasn't happened since I asked a couple of friends that have an iPhone & it's never happened 2 them no one can explain it so I chalked it up as a tweak & forgot about it

No comments: