Friday, January 21, 2011

The Continuously Dying iPhone 3GS

Apple iPhone - The Continuously Dying iPhone 3GS



I think it's time to start digging the hole.

My iPhone is about 18 months old. For the past couple months, it seems as though the battery is running shorter and shorter. I put my phone on the charger before bed, so I start the day at 100%. Throughout the workday, I have it on radio player that charges the phone.

Lately, though, I'll come home at 5:30 p.m. and have 100% charge on the phone... later on, it will be down around 90%... I'll play a few games, get on the web, etc... and anywhere from 34% to 58% (tonight), it dies on me.

Power on, takes longer than normal, and then back on.
For about ten seconds.

Repeat, repeat, repeat.

I have tried letting it sit while dead for several hours, hoping to calibrate the battery. I've tried the double-home-click to close all the apps. I've tried many things, but nothing seems to help.

So, is it time to call the family in for the funeral service??

iPhone New
Apple iPhone New
A friend of mine had that issue. She had never backed it up.

Took to apple store. They did restore and battery life got better

Not sure how. But that worked.

-----
A restore might help, but remember it will have the latest firmware installed on
it if you do so. (4.2.1)

-----
Is there any problem in getting the latest firmware? In Settings-> About it says I'm on Version 4.2.1 (8C148a).

The nearest Apple store is 90 minutes away. It's -1 today, high of 8. I may have to s*ck it up a bit until it warms up.

-----
A few thoughts -

If you leave apps running when you lock the phone, it will use up the battery. Shut down all apps before locking.

If you don't use the wi-fi, shut it off in settings. That wastes power.

Your radio player - is it designed specifically for the iPhone 3Gs? I have two useless "iHomes" that don't charge the iPhone, but do play through it. My car hookup also does not charge it for the same reason. I also have a car charger that doesn't work for the 3Gs. It is very likely your radio player doesn't charge it either.

Finally - if you are sure the battery is dead, and unless you just WANT to spend money on a new phone - go to one of those iPhone battery web sites, and spend under $10 for a new battery and the tool to open the phone. A 12 year old kid can change the battery - so you probably can, too.

-----
If you are on 4.2.1 you have the latest fw for now, so no problem with an update.

-----
Reducing brightness has certainly helped mine.

No comments: