Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Updating apps using iTunes (Mac)

Apple iPhone Question about updating apps using iTunes (Mac)

Lately when I try to update using iTunes on my Mac, I goto Apps tab, click on the update notice at the bottom of the window.

Normally there are numerous app updates. When I click on 'Update All' it does not want to perform this 'update all' function. Looking through the icons for apps that need updating, I will run across one or two icons that are for apps that I have installed on my iphone or ipad, but there is no button under that icon that designates a means to update that particular app individually.

I am wondering why does this occur? Is this the app in the list of apps that is preventing my ability to 'Update All' apps at once?

To perform updates, I click on the 'update' button under each app separately. This is time-consuming and annoying. Does anyone else ever experience this?

Does anyone have a suggestion how I can get my iTunes update procedure to 'update all' at once back to working correctly?

iPhone apps  Tattoo girl Apple iPhone apps The app that is left in my iTunes apps update window, is evidently not being distributed in the USA itunes store. It is the Yamaha app that controls my piano. It is probably being distributed now by Yamaha in Japan iTunes store. I don't want to delete it, as I use it all the time, so guess it is a bug that will keep me from updating all my apps with a single click.

-----
It *would* be nice to have a menu option for "ignore this update"....

-----
It sure would!

-----
I checked my Yamaha Disklavier Yahoo Group and looks like a new version may be available for the piano forth-coming. Right now not available in the USA store. So I will continue to update apps individually and hope that the app reappears in the USA store.

----
Which iTunes Store country did you purchase it from? Switch to that country in the iTunes Store, enter the username and password you used for that country when prompted. That app will be updated.

-----
I'm having a similar issue, updating directly from the App Store on the iPhone--apps like the Huffington Post sit among the apps to be updated, but during the Update All process, it asks for my password again (once for each one, since there are often two), then says the iTunes store can't be accessed.

Up till now I've just deleted the problem app and reinstalled, but the one that's stuck now is Amazon Kindle and I don't want to have to reload 20 ebooks.

Any other options? Rebooting hasn't helped, and synching from my pc is always a problem because iTunes wants to synch in the wrong direction (that's another discussion).

----
I assume that you acquired the app from the Apple iTunes Store in Japan, but are now purchasing and upgrading from the iTunes Store in the US. Or did you purchase it in the US and is just no longer available in the US?

Because of different copyrights and licenses, there are reasons they have to limit by your country which Apps and updates are available. I'm surprised you have been able to keep it on the iPhone. The different licenses only allow them to sell the intellectual properties in certain geographic (and legal) areas.

I have run into the same thing when trying to buy audio books. I could not find it in the US, but managed to buy it with a UK e-ddress. They have since patched that hole in the fence.

If the update will not allow it you to update all, then you will have to update them one at a time. Click on one, give it a second or two and then click on the next. It'll download them and then it installs them.

-----
Actually I bought the app from the USA store, they just released the update to that app today, guess they pulled it for the update for a few days. Downloading it now. Was able to check on another forum to see that the app was up for update and that others had noticed it pulled temporarily from the app store in the meantime.

Thanks for info on how the licensing for other countries plays out for users.

Yes, that is the method I use to download updates: one by one, but find it so time-consuming when I have 50 to 100 updates at a time. Making sure I update at a more frequent interval now.

Also noticed that I can remove the 'offensive app' from the list of apps that is causing the problem, but choose the option to Keep the files rather than to trash permanently and then update all the others and then move the 'temporarily removed file' back into the apps folder again manually and resync the temporarily moved file.

-----
Yes, one-zies for 50 -100 would be a pain.

I have removed apps, but have never looked to see how to restore a deleted app that I saved the files.

No comments: