Monday, August 2, 2010

Where iPhone photos go?

Apple iPhone - Where do iPhone photos go?

The sync seems to take phoptos off the computer and add the to the iphone. How do you get photos off the iphone and where are they stored by default?

iphone photography
View from car for apple iphone Photography
I'm not what you mean here but here goes. The photos are stored in a folder on your PC that you tell iTunes to copy (sync) to your iPhone. If you remove the photo from that folder, the next time you sync, iTunes will remove it from your iPhone.

-----
I have a MacBook Pro and v4.0.1 on my iPhone. *I need step-by-step directions* for storing my 2,000+ iPhone photos & vids onto an external HD. I think it would be to go ahead and sync the photos & vids from phone to computer, then find the photos (WHERE?), copy to an external HD, then trash all I don't want off the computer. ???

----
This is simple but time consuming...

On your MacBook Pro, plug in your iPhone like you are going to sync it. Then once plugged in, open iPhoto. It'll ask you if you would like to import your photos. Let it import your photos... this is what will take all the time, depending on your MBP's processing speed. If you have 2000+ photos, you might wish to do this just before bedtime, and finish-up in the morning. Maybe not that long, but you get the point.

You can edit the pix in iPhoto, and even add other photos from there then bring them back into the iPhone.

-----
If you then "right-click" on one of those images in iPhoto, the Mac will tell you the file itself ("show in finder" or some such). Then you know the directory/folder they're all in, if you want to back them up off the computer.

-----
But surely they would be backed up along with your other files as part of your regular backups? Many Mac users use Time Machine; many others use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner, or a combination of these.

-----
Yes, but I thought that the OP had expressed a desire to store their photos on a separate, external drive.

-----
If they are *also* on a separate external drive, that *is* a backup. If they are on an external *instead* of the internal drive, there is no backup unless a 2nd external is used for that.

-----
It does not automatically go to iPhoto for all users. I don't use iPhoto.

This is the only thing that I use iPhoto for.

-----
It needs backing up, wherever it is.

-----
If you are asking for a way to transfer photos from the iPhone to your computer. One way is to just email them to your main computer and save them in a place of your choice.

-----
I use ImageCapture.app to pull my iPhone photos to my MacBookPro. That way you can store the images wherever you want - say in a different folder than iPhoto designates.

ImageCapture.app is found in your Applications folder. You can download all images, or just one.

I almost never use iPhoto but do all editing in Photoshop Elements 6, a much better program.

Just my $2 worth (adjusted for inflation).

-----
iCapture is for Windows, not Mac (and it isn't in my Applications). How are you accessing it for your MacBook??

Other than that, I found 11,609 images in my Pictures folder on my MacBook HD. Okay. Ultimately I think I can save all the iPhone pix & vids to Pictures (HOW??), copy them to an external HD, then erase them off my MacBook.

When I went into iPhone sync in iTunes, it allows me to copy all my iPhoto pix into my iPhone, but that's all I see! NOT what I want.

-----
That may well be true, but *Image Capture* is an Apple application that comes with the operating system and is located in the Applications folder.

I must admit that I don't know for how many generations of the operating system it has been there, but for a few years at least.

-----
Squinting, with clenched teeth, one shoulder raised to protect myself.. I finally hit the button to get all the pix & vids off my iPhone and onto an external HD. I didn't foresee what happened. It wasn't Image Capture after all, which will bring images into the computer from a camera.. it did not see my iPhone. And btw, I never sync photos to or from the phone. I don't need all my photos everywhere, not on my iPad either.

What imported 2,000+ .jpg, .png and .mov files was the Import function of HP Photosmart Studio. I connected the phone and the ex HD to my MacBook Pro and the printer software saw the iPhone. I directed the Import to the ex HD and walked away as it worked for a long time.

Being a learning experience, I didn't know until afterwards that the iPhone files would also be recorded in All Images on the Mac HD: again, not what I wanted. That particular folder seems to be home to every "picture" that your computer has ever used.. like files called "brown" or "left corner" and every icon you never noticed as your innocently browse your way through life or download on purpose. I had downloaded a trial version of Word and it put every thing in the world on my computer. I didn't buy it at the end of thirty days but there remained all the stuffings of Word on my HD. That's ONE example.

What's on YOUR hard drive? Sit back and look at your computer. Just about everything you see is a picture; how much of it is recorded in All Pictures? No wonder I had 11,000 and more. Yes, a lot of my own JPGs, TIFs and NEFs are there. When the importing was finished, the 11,000+ had also duplicated itself to 22,000+ on the external HD. Don't ask me why. I painstakingly cleared the duplication. Do I need to sit with an expert before I do something like that again? YUP.

There's a Mac clean-up software that I see advertised sometimes - that might be a place to start too. Funny how you can happily use a machine for so long and know so little about what it's doing.

With a myriad of other things going on in life it'll be another day before I send any of the now safe-and-sound movies to YouTube (or CD) that I moved from the iPhone, since they were "too big to email," hence useless stored there. And I'm much more cautious about what pictures or movies I make with the iPhone now that I know the limitations for getting them OUT of the phone.

What's in - your ROOM! Do you have a bazillion CD's from years gone by with photos you'll use one day? What are we gonna do with all this (Stuff). I need help - but not with addition. Certainly not multiplication.

No comments: