Saturday, August 14, 2010

Upgrading to 4.02

Apple iPhone - Upgrading to 4.02

I have had numerous problems with syncing and upgrading my iPhone 3GS.
I have 'cured' the syncing issues by shutting off my wireless and disabling my antivirus and firewall. When I do this the sync goes quickly, no freezes or hangups. No problems at all.

My question is - can I just download the upgrade then shutdown my wireless and then try upgrading my phone. Or does the upgrade process require an active Internet connection to complete.

I have tried previous upgrades without shutting down my antivirus etc. And have bricked the phone each time. I have to go to the apple store to have the phone reflashed. There has to be a conflict somewhere. If I need an active connection I will probably be proactive as I did for Ios 4 and have the genius upgrade the phone and then restore from backup.

iPhone Syncing
M Girl Apple iPhone Syncing
You should be able to configure the firewall and antivirus to permit iTunes to work properly. However, you can download the update and then install it locally.

-----
I am going to try configuring AFTER I do the upgrade. I have gotten so frustrated with my sync issues it is relaxing to just turn it all off and zip through the process ;-).

-----
What antivirus are you using? I assume you are using a PC, what version of Windows are you using?

-----
I guess I missed something, What's new in iOS4.0.2?

-----
4.0.2 plugs the PDF exploit used by jailbreakme.com

-----
It is also waaaayyyyyyyy faster on a 3G than any 4.x before it!

-----
"waaaayyyyyyyy faster"? Is it "safe" to upgrade the 3G now? What are other 3G and 4.02 users opinion?

-----
I upgraded mine and it is slow as h*ll

-----
Did you reset it into Recovery Mode before upgrading?

-----
no

-----
My 3G is still S-L-O-W . . . . .

-----
Mine too.

-----
I wish apple came with option get back to 3.1.2 without any issues.

-----
I agree this is not difficult but it's not happening for me. I'm on baseband 5.13.04.

-----
is it not advisable to upgrade to 4.0.2?

-----
Unless there is some reason you can not upgrade, 4.02 is necessary - it fixes a huge security hole.

-----
okay, im about to upgrade now...

-----
I didn't try or want to upgrade, I actually want to downgrade my phone to 3.1.2. With 4.0.1 it's too sluggish.

----
actually, i havent notice any development or changes after the upgrade of 4.0.2, only the additional wallpaper after the installation of 4.0

-----
Is 4.0.2 faster than 4.0.1 on 3G?

-----
Yes.

-----
Probably no difference. 4.0.2 only patched the Adobe hole.

-----
4.0.2, 4.0.1 and 4.0.0 were safe.

4.0.1 and 4.0.0 were just slow as a wet weekend when trying to operate them.

4.0.2 seems to have fixed the problem, and is working as fast as 3.1.3.

But then, because my data is all backed up on MobileMe, it was easy for me to reset the phone to "Recovery Mode" and start from scratch with 4.0.2.

That seems to make all the difference.

-----
Never had a problem on my 3G still runs fast

-----
I am using AVG for antivirus and zonealarm for my firewall. I think I have zonealarm configured ok. I have to research making exceptions for AVG. Since I have turned them off when syncing it has been speedy with no hangups. In the past the computer would freeze so solidly I had to power off using the on off switch!!

I have a Dell laptop with 32 bit Vista ultimate. ( I am still debating on trying the upgrade without the antivirus - with so many past problems I am running scared)

-----
My 3G is much faster since upgrading to 4.02. I had trouble upgrading at first, but after I turned off my McAffee the upgrade went smoothly. I even think the phone starts up a lot faster.

-----
your's is the second mention of anti-virus software getting in the way for a Windows user trying to update his iPhone. I wonder what in the Apple updates is triggering something in the AV.

-----
Had major problems this morning after this update and adding a few more apps. iPhone 3GS kept rebooting to the apple, when it would stop on home page with slider would reboot again. Then it finally let me access my icons on home pages and nothing would show up in mail, settings or a search was not doable.

I messed with my firewall settings yesterday and this may have caused the problem today.

First attempt to just restore the phone came back with a message saying unable to restore this phone. Great! I kept persisting according to the instructions in the Apple support docs:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1275

nothing ... finally switched cables out and it has been restored and now backing up from my last backup. Hope that works! as I just didn't want to reenter all my stuff again. Will see what happens.

No comments: