Monday, August 9, 2010

Can't Download An Update!

Apple iPhone - I Can't Download An Update!

I get this every time I try to download an iTunes+Quicktime update. The error message reads like this:

"iTunes+Quicktime' has an invalid signature. The download has been removed.

This is the message I get from Apple Update. It's what pops up on the screen after waiting a long time for the download.

I've tried many times. I've tried both download only and download +install...it doesn't matter...I still get this message.

Can anyone shed some light on why this is happening?

iPhone tutorials
Hack Jail Break apple iphone tutorial
First I assume that you are either having this issue on a PC or in BootCamp.

I recently booted my Mac into Windows XP and was surprised to be offered this Apple Software Update for iTunes. I had already installed QT, but not iTunes.

I installed iTunes + QuickTime without any problems. I don't remember any signature issues. Did you install the updated BootCamp? I got BC v2.2 for XP, but if you are running Vista or & then you may need BC v 3.1. That maybe where the issue is.

If not, then you can go to Apple > Support (tab) and then look for downloads. Read the requirements before you start any install, though. That may point you to any issues or prerequisite updates you need.

Your user name made me think you were using a Mac, but the iTunes + QT says PC or BootCamp. That combo is not offered for a Mac, and that gave it away.

It is really easier to suggest answers if you lay it out, rather than leave little bread crumbs of clues as to you hardware & software. See my signature below.

Oh! BTW! Your iPod, and I assume your iPhone or iPad can only be synced to either Macs or Windows-boxes, not both. I just happened to try changing an old iPod over to syncing in Windows and otherwise again would not have recognized the Tunes + QT offering.

-----
Delete the whole install and start over

-----
I found this and it made things right again with my Vista PC. Apparently my software update was messed up and needed repair. This blurb from Apple Support seems to explain it and say how to fix it. So if any of you have this problem...this is the fix. Thanks to all who replied to help in this matter. I appreciate it very much.
Here is the Apple web page.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24326?viewlocale=en_US

And yes I did reinstall iTunes-Quicktime. The cool thing was that it remembered all my library stuff and structures etc. That made me happy 'cause I was worried about that. :-)

Products Affected

iTunes, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows OS

Software Update is an Apple-supplied Windows program that updates Apple software (such as iTunes and QuickTime) over the Internet.

If Software Update becomes unresponsive, you may need to repair the software using the Add or Remove programs Control Panel:

1. Windows XP and Windows 2000: On the *Start* menu, click Control Panel and click Add or Remove programs.

Windows Vista: On the *Start* menu, click Control Panel and click Uninstall a program.

Alternately, in Classic View of Control Panel, click Programs and Features.

2. Locate Apple Software Update in the list of installed programs and select it.

3. In Windows XP and Windows 2000, click the Change button.

4. Click Repair.

5. In Windows XP and Windows 2000, once it is repaired, click Finish.

6. Check to see whether repairing the program fixed the issue. See How to tell if Software Update for Windows is working correctly when no updates are available for instructions.

-----
I'm glad you found your answer.

Apple is putting more articles to help PC users in their Apple Support KB since they are selling more and more iDevices to PC users.

No comments: