Friday, August 6, 2010

iPhone 4 back glass

Apple - iPhone 4 back glass

Today my wife took her iPhone 4 out of her pocket to answer a text message. The backside glass was shattered! No idea how it happened. Went to Apple store, they said only thing they could do was replace the phone for $199! I went to Best Buy, got her a case which will do for now. Looked online and it looks like it's a very easy fix. $12 for a new glass backing which is very easy to install according to the videos I've seen on youtube.. Anyone done this? Is it as easy as they show? Why can't Apple do this? Why $199?!?!

iPhone Warranty
Next Gen Apple iphone Warranty
I agree that Apple should repair it for a nominal charge, or at least a reasonable amount.

Was it in a pocket where it might have got sat on or leaned against?

-----
Beware of cheap Chinese glass that doesn't have enough adhesive to make a good seal. My daughter shattered the glass on a 3Gs - most cities have a repair shop that will do the job from $50 to $80. More for the LCD or water damage, but it is still much cheaper than buying a new phone at the Apple store.

I got my daughter an "otter case" for $50. A bit bulky but there are stories of iPhones surviving quick dunks, being run over, etc. with an otter case and surviving. Don't know if they make one for an iPhone 4, but it is a good investment for the accident prone.

-----
Back pockets are where I see alot of people carrying their cell phones.

The stresses on the glass will cause it to break if you carry it in your back pocket and you sit on it.

-----
That would be the most stupid place to carry anything valuable or fragile, wouldn't it?

-----
But I see people do it everyday. Even at a Waterpark I noticed a girl carrying her iPhone on a ride that got us soaking wet. I warned her too. She didn't care.

-----
Yeah, they think everything should be covered by the manufacturer, and then scream like spoiled brats when they are told "Tough!" Honey, go earn a living and then think about that.

I see the young guys I work with put them in their pockets with coins and keys and then complain they got scratched. Or YouTube videos made the first day of release, dropping the iPhone 4 purposely as they walk out of the store. What does that prove, that they are kewl or that they are stupid and their parents didn't teach them any values or respect?

Don't get me wrong, accidents do happen. But I do forensic investigations for industrial accidents, and a true accident is very, very rare.

I would suggest you try another Apple Store or call Apple and try politely asking them if they can help out. They might lower the repair cost some.

My personal choice is not to carry my phone in my work or dress clothes pockets, but in a holster and a case. But then I'm a guy, not a gal.

-----
I got her a case yesterday, so all is fine for now. Can't even tell it's broken. I think we are going to fix it ourselves. Looks very easy to do.

-----
Even from the first tear down (iFixIt.com) said that the back glass was very easy to replace so if you happen to break a side, hope it is the back, if I remember correctly it is just the removing of two screws, carefully holding the antenna band and slipping old pieces out and new glass in.

-----
Yipes! Am I the only one that had a queasy feeling in my stomach as I watched them open the iPhone for repair? [?]

-----
Yea I wouldn't want to open it up!

-----
If you're a little adventuresome, I'd say give the repair a try. I replaced the hard drive in my iPod Classic 80 GB a few years ago and it went without a hitch. Getting the case open was the most challenging part of that repair. The iPhone comes apart with screws, unlike the iPod classic.

-----
The very popularity of iPods, iPhones, and iPads has spawned dozens of "how-to" websites describing in great detail how to replace batteries, glass, hard drives, etc. Sure - the violate the warranty - but I would say: What warranty?! The last time my daughter dunked her iPhone, there was no warranty. They don't sell one at all. So from now on I'm going to have at it - and if it looks too ticklish I'll pay one of these local shops or internet shops to do the fix.

It seems to me that Apple / ATT is overlooking what could be a lucrative repair business. The local store had my daughter's phone working good as new in minutes, and cost a fraction of what it would cost to buy a new phone at the Apple store. That is revenue Apple could have had if they offered repair service. Sure - they make more money to demand you buy a new one - but in these tough economic times how long before the majority of folks jump ship to non-Apple repair stores like I did?!

-----
One thing you folks are not considering, is that if Apple does the repairs (or exchange in this case) Peter does not void any warranty or AppleCare he might have purchased. And most warranties or extensions don't normally cover accidents or loss, just manufacturer's defects.

At $199, Apple said they would replace the iPhone. In other words, no down time without a phone, and the warranty should stay intact. A 16Gb iPhone 4 without a contract is $599, so basically, Apple is giving Peter a $400 refund for turning in a core (like in automotive part). After repairing it, Apple can only sell it as refurbished. And any future warranty claims are still valid and at Apples expense.

Now if he takes it to s 3rd party, many charge $90, he is without a phone for a week, and any warranty or extension is void. If they have a mishap ad break something else, then they are responsible to repair it. Being that they do this more often that the end user, they are less likely to break something, and have no responsibility to future warranty claims.

So it looks like the difference of $109 is their costs to discount the iPhone and repackage and put it back into inventory as Refurbished. This allows them to be able to immediately replace Peter's phone and keep him happy, and under warranty.

If he repairs it himself, and it is very possible he is capable, it costs him materials, and any special tools he does not have, plus shipping, say $20. But he is without a phone for a week, and has no warranty. If he slips and breaks anything else, then repairs or replacement are still at his expense, but since he opened the phone, Apple is under no obligation to offer an exchange at $199 or any amount.

It looks like He chose to go the last route and I wish him well. It will probably work out fine for him.

-----
... I would try a different Apple store if there is one reasonably close to you. If not, try calling AppleCare. I had a problem with a tech in the past and AppleCare handled it.

I think because Apple is now growing so fast, they are having some minor employee issues. Try again, some times you simply have to be persistent.

-----
I used a plastic cover to cover the plastic glass. How ironic that the cover needs another cover. But glad I did it. Before I had the plastic cover installed, I put it in my back pocket. I didn't realize till now that it could've cracked.

The price at $199 is ridiculous.

Thanks for sharing, good luck on your problem and so far Applecare has been better service than Apple Tech.

No comments: