Tuesday, February 1, 2011

wi fi iPhone usage

Apple iPhone - wi fi iPhone usage



Perhaps a redundant question, but can an iPhone access the internet using WI-FI without having the phone operational?

iPhone WiFi
Apple iPhone WiFi
Yes. Turn on Airplane Mode. This will turn all the radios off. Then turn Wi-Fi back on.

-----
If you still need the GPS, you could also simply take the SIM card out (at least with the AT&T phones).

-----
thanks for the post I will likely pick up an iPhone just to use for Internet for now.

-----
just a question my gym and my house does not have wifi is there any Other way I can use my phone without using my data package I have the 25.00 data I'm afraid I'm going to have extra charges

-----
If you just want to use the phone (no data unless WiFi) you can turn Cellular Data off in Settings > General > Network

-----
That's the same thing I do. Then just switch Cellular Data ON when you need it.

I suggest though that you get a wireless Internet for your home. Also, try checking your usage. I doubt that you would reach your limit with normal use. If so, no need for the hassle.

-----
I've had unlimited for years and just saw that AT&T slammed me down to 2GB

It seems that, although I use my phone heavily every day for work and personal, I don't use the full 2GB

My question is: what kind of user uses more than 2 GB and should I pay the extra $5 to preserve my right to have unlimited in the future?

-----
i don't understand.

you had unlimited and ATT took it away without you knowing and you are now at 2GB?

i have unlimited...i must say i do enjoy using the iphone without fear of 'going over'.

i really would like to tether it to the ipad...but don;t want to lose the unlimited...

right now i don't see a way of doing the tethering without a plan.

i was at a conference where a guy using what he call cydia allowed his 3GS to provide wifi to his laptop without losing the unlimited.

sounded like a jail broken deal.

-----
Right now - very few if any people 'normally' go over 2GB. Those who do are rarely on WiFi, use a lot of audio and/or video streaming, etc OR are 'jailbroken' and are using tethering off contract terms. The problem is that in the feature as apps become more data intensive and audio/video streaming becomes more prevalent those with 2GB (or other) caps will have to start being a lot more careful.

Currently I have unlimited data plans on Verizon and AT&T and intend to keep them unless I am forced off as I do use quite a bit of data - my Verizon phone has the 'hot spot' feature so I can use my iPad, MB Air or even iPhone WiFi to access the Verizon data network and I do download and/or stream quite a few podcasts to my iPhone (I haven't listened to my car radio or cd player since I got my original iPhone).

-----
I would call AT&T. You are grandfathered in & they can't change your data unless you request it. The only people I know that go over are those without regular wifi access.

-----
People who stream audio or video a lot....

-----
You might look around your area for a Wi-Fi hotspot. Many McDonald's, Starbucks, and Barn's and Nobles have Wi-Fi.

-----
It is very difficult to calculate how much data you are actually using. By way of example, my housemate streams a radio station more or less continuously at her desk during the working day, and averages around 1.9 GB of data per month.

-----
Settings > General > Usage shows how much you've used. There seems to be no breakdown of this but you can reset it at any point.

-----
True, but....

If you're starting out, and have an idea of your normal time online, and how you use that time, there's no easy way in advance to figure out how that translates to data used.

Pretty much have to use the thing, then look back at the totals.

-----
I agree. I doubt that anyone can reliably estimate usage. If you're concerned, check it daily for a few days to get an idea. After that you can decide whether it needs checking at all, or perhaps weekly if you might get close to your monthly limit. It's worth considering how much you really need that usage there and then when you can use wifi for free in many places (such as at home!).

-----
Can they change your plan without telling you

-----
Why not an iPod touch?

-----
Just to be sure things are absolutely clear for a beginner, if you buy an iPhone (at least in the USA) from a carrier or from Apple, you WILL buy and pay for a contract with the carrier.

You may get the iPhone for as little as $49, but you will pay at least $55/month on a 24-month contract ($1320).

You cannot get an iPod Touch for $49 (new), but you can get one for a lot less than $1369.

-----
IMO it's important that people look at the total cost over, say, 2 years. Paying a high monthly tariff does not make sense if your usage is only occasional or in emergencies.

I suppose it's a generational thing but I've been amazed by the willingness of young people on relatively low salaries to pay large amounts ($100-ish) every month to speak to people they can mostly speak to for peanuts on a landline.

-----
If you mean that you have an old iPhone that is not connected and used as a phone, then the answer is yes.

I gave my original iPhone to my granddaughter to use. Basically it becomes like an iPod touch. Functional with wifi access but no phone capabilities. She can listen to the music, view the photos, use the game and educational apps and also view the internet and send emails when hooked to wifi.

-----
Also,

If you download skype/google voice/line 2 or some VOIP application then the Phone can be used.

-----
Yes, and if you get the Textfree app you can also text for free via wifi.

No comments: